T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to print 2 colors for the first time on a bright blue shirt. I have a white under color and hot print on top. I have a 4 color press and a flash dryer.

Can anyone give advice on the best ink for doing hot pink over white?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Is the white part of the design or just the underbase. If it is you get better results with a highlight white plate (the part of the white that shows in the final print. Most ink companies have a white designed just for underbase. Wilfles calls their base white.
The reason for two white screens is that to get opaque coverage over the whiten in the design, if you only have one white the underbase will be too heavy.
Hope this helps. God Bless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes part of the white shows in the final print. I had seen online that many people just do PFP of white.

What I tried is white flash then pink flash pink again. And cure. .

The ink I had on hand was white international coatings and pink Versatex.

The pink washes off half way when washed.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
That's exactly why you need an underbase screen and a highlight white screen as well as the pink screen. With a good underbase you should need only 1 print of the highlight white and 1 print of the pink. The only flash should be of the underbase.
Your ink thickness is such that your ink is not curing all the way the ink layer. With the thicker layer of ink, it takes longer for the heat to penetrate all the way through the ink layer. If it is not cured all the way through, the top layers will crack and/or wash off.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Unless I'm missing something, the Versatex is a waterbased ink. Is the International Coating white ink waterbase, or is it plastisol? If it's plastisol, it's no wonder the pink is washing off. About the only way I've heard of of mixing apples and oranges that way is to overprint a discharge print with plastisol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless I'm missing something, the Versatex is a waterbased ink. Is the International Coating white ink waterbase, or is it plastisol? If it's plastisol, it's no wonder the pink is washing off. About the only way I've heard of of mixing apples and oranges that way is to overprint a discharge print with plastisol.
Got some pink international coating plastisol and the shirts turned out perfect. This was my first attempt at 2 color orinting and I learned a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts