T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I just wanted to give a quick thanks you all of you!! I am new to the business and researching everything has been so overwhelming, but I think we're finally (almost) ready to start producing!

We decided to go with the heat press option and major supplies so far are:

Hix Swingman 15x15
Epson c120 w/refillable ink cart
USCutter PCUT 24"

With the exception of the ink cartridge not working yet (talking to Ross @ inkjetcarts to get it resolved) we're good to go!

I have a ton of question, of course, but I don't even know where to start, so any general advice you have, (particularly on getting my husband more motivated, lol) I'd greatly appreciate it!
:)-Merry

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Well I dont know how to motivate your husband haha, but welcome to the forums. You have done one really important thing and that is coming out of the shadows Glad you finally joined us :) Is there anything specific you are wanting to know? feel free to ask, we would be happy to help.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Welcome & good luck, blackearth. I second, sunnydayz about motivating your husband ~~ if he isn't into it, just do it for yourself. If it works, he'll be glad.

My husband helped me start my business by building the shirt shelves and other such things for my display, but he wasn't 'into' the whole idea of the business. He occasionally helps with trimming transfers, folding shirts and other things for my shows, but as far as planning, it's up to me (and now my son works the business with me, go figure).

(Oh, he did press a shirt and ship it for me recently - we were away for the week to attend a printwear show. FIRST one and I'm in my sixth year of business.)

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Hi Merry and :welcome:

Just a joke, but isn't there a forum just for "Motivating Husbands"?? LOL. Anyway, if money starts rolling in, he may sit up and notice. That's what happened to mine. :D

I see the press, I see the printer and I see the cutter. Did you decide on paper?

For lights: JPSS (Jetprosofstretch) is an awesome paper for whites/lights. You can find JPSS at tshirtsupplies.com, New Milford Photo, Coastal, Alpha Supply and others. Forum sponsors sometimes offer discounts to member. If you click the preferred vendor list on the left, the discount links are below. Tshirtsupplies.com is offering 5% off if you sign up for the newletter, so that is like a sale. Sign up for the newletter with all the suppliers, so you will get sales information from them. That can really help cut operating costs and increase the bottomline.

Darks: For darks shirts, well, I use Ironall Dark, and I do love it when it is not having QC issues. Maybe after September they'll have it solved for good. For now, if you do also plan to use Ironall Dark papers, ask if the batch is the new fixed batch to make sure you don't get any older stuff that had weird problems. I know, not to confidence inspiring, is it? :)

Another dark paper people like is Jet Wear also known as Alpha Gold for darks. Jetwear is at tshirtsupplies and Alpha gold at alpha supply.

Here is a post on pressing (included info on pre-press for moisture, stretching to prevent cracks, etc.)
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/heat-press-heat-transfers/t39007.html#post229735

I haven't started vinyl yet myself.. I am buying my blade holder I hope this week. Looks like we'll be learning all that together, but hanging around the vinyl threads has been really enlightening for me.

I got hooked on the rhinestone threads, too... so I am starting to go in too many directions at once, lol, but I think the vinyl (and Corel) will be the two hardest things I face next. I'm just glad I belong to this forum, because the folks here are super helpful, and I'm going to need it.

Inkjet heat transfers I can do. If you need help, just shout, and I guess the vinyl we'll learn together over there! See you on the boards, and welcome again. :)

Not sure how much you've already read since you've been lurking, so my apologies if some or all of this is redundant. Good luck to you. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts