T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the design and t-shirt industry. I have been playing around with Photoshop for a while and I enjoy it. I would like to start a dj/beatmaker culture t-shirt brand catering to the urban streetwear scene and im wondering if I should focus more on getting in depth with Photoshop or Illustrator first. Let me know your opinions. I already have some experience with Photoshop but I am pretty new with Illustrator.

· Registered
1,318 Posts
since you already know some about PS. start using AI..but jump between both so you don't loose your touch on either..well that is what i do..it is always a struggle but my chair is on wheels and i just push myself way when ever i feel overwhelmed and need a break.

· Registered
5,758 Posts
Photoshop is not a vector based program..

I suggest you design in Illustrator (vector program) then you can save images to be viewed in Photoshop.

I tell my customers photoshop is for viewing while illustrator is for designing. I have several photoshop'd files that look great on the screen but once printed not so good because they are bitmaps or jpegs

· Registered
1,533 Posts
Your going to need both if you want to do whatever you want in screen printing. Since you are familiar with PS spend the time to get that familiar with Illy. My father learned 4 languages while on the run as a war refugee and would tell me as he was teaching me how to do something " It is a temptation when first learning a language to say what you know, instead of saying what you want". You sound like a capable person, learn to say what you want to. :)

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the reply"s everyone. Am I able to modify images in Illustrator like I can in Photoshop. A lot of my design style consist of modifying pictures and using text will different font styles.. I don't do a lot of my own drawing drawing, yet. In photoshop if I chop something out of an image that I want to use as part of a design am I able to make it a vector image in Illustrator easily?

· Registered
1,533 Posts
I usually modify the photo or illustration in PS, export through Screen Print Separator, import the screened colors into Illy (Corel in my case), and then do all of the line work, text and geometric objects there. :)

· Registered
3,825 Posts
Thanks for all the reply"s everyone. Am I able to modify images in Illustrator like I can in Photoshop. A lot of my design style consist of modifying pictures and using text will different font styles.. I don't do a lot of my own drawing drawing, yet. In photoshop if I chop something out of an image that I want to use as part of a design am I able to make it a vector image in Illustrator easily?
I would recommend using both hand in hand, i do this all day. using illustrator to layout the design, add fonts and vector elements. If i'm using any bitmap images, i link them into the vector program and edit them using the bitmap editor (photoshop). The linked bitmaps can be updated on the fly. This is one of the best ways to work in my opinion.

You don't always have to 'convert' bitmap images into vectors (using trace tools), you can use bitmaps in your vector program. There's many different techniques depending on what you're trying to do.

@steve420: is that a sampler on your icon shirt?!? :D what model is that? is it a Korg?

· Registered
67 Posts
I am new to this also. I currently have a friend doing the artwork for me but I would at least like to be able to do some of the basics. Which is the best for taking art files and breaking them into the layers needed for the screens?

· Registered
781 Posts
Seperation the key...and of course the end result

One of the things not covered very good here seems to be the end look you are trying to achieve and how you are going to separate it and of course then print it.. Vector based illustrator is easier to seperate, print, and so on and so forth.. but it looks like vector art and to get a lot of detail and a certain look takes a lot of seperation experience and good to great printing.. Photoshop can be seperated these days with a lot of different software systems and gives you maybe more the look you are used to
dlac

· Registered
1,534 Posts
I am new to this also. I currently have a friend doing the artwork for me but I would at least like to be able to do some of the basics. Which is the best for taking art files and breaking them into the layers needed for the screens?
I tend to separate Illustrator files in Illustrator and Photoshop files in Photoshop. However, Photoshop can separate both, Illustrator can't. I think that directly answers your question. I would also advise that you don't allow yourself to become so focused on one that you neglect the other entirely. I know veterans in this business who are very good with one, and have precious little skill in the other. It limits what you can do.

· Registered
3,825 Posts
I tend to separate Illustrator files in Illustrator and Photoshop files in Photoshop. However, Photoshop can separate both, Illustrator can't. I think that directly answers your question. I would also advise that you don't allow yourself to become so focused on one that you neglect the other entirely. I know veterans in this business who are very good with one, and have precious little skill in the other. It limits what you can do.
i couldn't agree more! well said Stone!

· Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the info....I'm no veteran and I'm not good at either...yet:) But I am getting ready to enroll in a photoshop college course. Are there any photoshop instruction DVD's that are selling on ebay that you might recommend? I also have seen photoshop add-on programs for sale, specifically "SpotMe!", have any of you used this or could recommend a layer separation program?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would recommend using both hand in hand, i do this all day. using illustrator to layout the design, add fonts and vector elements. If i'm using any bitmap images, i link them into the vector program and edit them using the bitmap editor (photoshop). The linked bitmaps can be updated on the fly. This is one of the best ways to work in my opinion.

You don't always have to 'convert' bitmap images into vectors (using trace tools), you can use bitmaps in your vector program. There's many different techniques depending on what you're trying to do.

@steve420: is that a sampler on your icon shirt?!? :D what model is that? is it a Korg?
Im not familiar with linking bitmap images in in Illustrator and editing them in Photoshop. I'll have to search for a tutorial that explains it better. You seem like you know you stuff with this software.

That drum machine on m icon shirt is a MPC2000XL drum machine/sampler.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.