T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im just starting screen printing and design. And I need help with Color separation. I've done it with sold colors, but am doubting gradients. I came here for help. thanks will be back with more detailed questions. Hopefully soon I will be providing some answers.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
There are many ways to separate (nice to see someone that can spell it!).
The easiest way, if you have a RIP is to print from a programme like Corel or AI, choose the postscript printer and the separations option. Job done. You will need to open and print with a RIP.
You can do it manually by colouring each plate colour black and printing, without a RIP you generally won't get halftones (you can add these in rasterised files with PS or such like).
So what do you want to separate and which programme do you use?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been using Photoshop, but I didn't know I could do it with Illustrator. I have to try with AI. What is a RIP?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Raster Image Processor, converts a postscript file into printer language, does the halftoning etc.
If you are in PS and want halftones, turn the file to grey and choose 'bitmap'. Choose 'halftone screen' and an lpi of 40-55lpi depending on your preference. Print.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts