T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am used to selling t-shirts in orders of 1-8 that are bought on my website, yesterday I was approached with an order of 300+ shirts from a major company.
What I am using: DTG
What the customer wants: A simple 6x6 design on white cotton shirts. The cost to me should be around 1.25 a shirt.

Knowing I cant charge my usual premium what is the forums idea on a fair price I can charge or should I find a local screen printer?

Thanks
Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,766 Posts
How long does to take to print 10 shirts. What would be a good hourly wage after expenses. For me If I made $3.00 a shirt I would be happy.. $900 for about 2 days work after expenses. You are into a new market and this could be doorway to many more jobs like this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can do about 100 shirts an hour(with the small logo they requested) but I prefer to go at a slower pace so I dont mess things up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that does sound a bit high.... I am using a fast t-jet2 and I can prob do 85 prints in high gear but really why work that hard I am thinking I will do around 45 an hour so I am not in such a hurry. The design is 6x6 at 720 resolution and one pass. But again these are just my estimates... does that sound about right to you Adam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
Well I'm pretty slow so it takes me at least 1 min to hit the eject button, pull the platen out, unhoop the shirt, lay the shirt on the press and close it (luckily I have the Phoenix Phire so I dont have to baby sit it), then grab the next platen with the shirt already hooped, drop it in the bed, line it up, give it a once over with the measuring jig, hit load, then hit print again.

If the printer is too fast, I can't pre-load my next shirt onto the platen so the whole process slows down.

I usually add 1-2 minutes to every shirt I need to print and guage it that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,333 Posts
You said your cost was $1.25. That doesn't include the price of the shirt, does it?

Most of the local screen printers around here charge cost plus 110%. So if your cost was $3 then you would charge $6.30 per shirt. That would be around $1900 for 300 shirts.

You might also want to get a quote from a local screen printing to see what they would charge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,906 Posts
Comparing prices to local printings might be a good bet, and aim for something in that area. Be sure not to shoot yourself in the foot though; it's not usually worth printing tons of shirts if you're only making 50 cents or a dollar profit for shirt. I don't think I'd ever sell for less than double my cost (shirt+ink+etc.), personally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your help this forum is such a great resource for anyone starting out or even a seasoned veteran in the t-shirt biz. Binki yes my cost includes shirt. I have found white Hanes ts on sale for around $1 a shirt and with such a small print my ink cost will be around 25 to 50 cents a shirt.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,512 Posts
csquared said:
I have found white Hanes ts on sale for around $1 a shirt and with such a small print my ink cost will be around 25 to 50 cents a shirt.
Don't forget labour, machine maintenance, electricity, rent, web hosting, etc. etc. - it all needs to be factored in, or you could still end up making a loss without even really realising it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
csquared said:
I am used to selling t-shirts in orders of 1-8 that are bought on my website, yesterday I was approached with an order of 300+ shirts from a major company.
What I am using: DTG
What the customer wants: A simple 6x6 design on white cotton shirts. The cost to me should be around 1.25 a shirt.

Knowing I cant charge my usual premium what is the forums idea on a fair price I can charge or should I find a local screen printer?

Thanks
Chris
Hi Chris Do you mean you are looking for white t-shirt with 3 color prints on front chest 6" x 6" at cost US$1.25/pc. Wow, the price is wonderful. Do you mind to tell whenever you get it:) :) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,333 Posts
csquared said:
Thank you all for your help this forum is such a great resource for anyone starting out or even a seasoned veteran in the t-shirt biz. Binki yes my cost includes shirt. I have found white Hanes ts on sale for around $1 a shirt and with such a small print my ink cost will be around 25 to 50 cents a shirt.
I think you should sell them for $2 and I will buy 1000:rolleyes:

Seriously, $4-$6 would be reasonable. We have gotten some 4 color, 2 sided prints for less than $8 from our local printer.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top