T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm Alisha. I'm really new to t-shirt making and I found this forum (my first forum) hoping to get some tips. Ive done a little bit of iron on with hp paper and am not satisfied. What can I do to get a professional quality T Shirt printed myself?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Sublimation might be a relatively inexpensive way to start out. You can always subcontract the work out to a local screenprint shop. Print on demand sites like Cafepress or Zazzle may work, although I can't speak to their quality. Direct to garment is another option.

Really, the question Brian asked is the place to start. What do you have to work with and what is your level of expertise?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You most likely don't have a heat press. You'll need one for the next step. You can get 12"x9" swing presses cheap; google it. But, you'll quickly want a larger one. You're probably doing printed transfers (laser/inkjet). In which case your transfers are most likely limited to legal paper (8.5x14). In that case, you should probably target at least a press that can do that.

REALLY what it comes down to, is how much money are you willing to spend to get going. Cutting corners on the equipment will limit what you can produce... but at least its a start. That's how most people start. Build a client base, income, savings and expand/impove when you can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses! So far I only have a hand held iron and im printing on inkjet transfer paper... like i said im really new. I have been looking into heat presses... just not ready to spend a couple hundred on anything yet. but eventually that is the route i know i need to go. im going to look into the 12x9 to maybe get me by because im pretty sure the heat press is my main issue...

·
Registered
84 Posts
If your going to put the time and money into doing heat press work, I would really try to get something bigger than a 9x12. I would go at least 15in. if you can. If I didnt have a 15x15 press, I would have to turn down a lot of orders b/c they wouldn't fit properly on the press and double pressing sucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts