T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not really sure where to post this...maybe a moderator can move around...ANYWAY....

There is new software for the Roland EGX 350 that will greatly enhance our ability to create more/better designs. This software ...called R-Wear Studio has drivers for all of Roland engravers as well as the GX24 vinyl cutter. I am not sure what the vinyl cutter will do...but here is what was posted on a user forum

Name of the product is R-WearStudio and will driver the EGX-30, EGX-300 and EGX-350 as well as the GX-24 and any VersaWorks supported and 3rd party printer. The MSRP will be $499, but Roland will be running a 90 day promotion to allow current users to purchase at the special price of $299. New users who purchase a supported machine and bundle the software with it can get the special price of $299.

As you can see for the next 90 days there is a promotional offer on with a $200 saving...I have mine order...should ship 9/23 and should have it by 9/26.. hopefully...

I will post impressions as soon as I figure out what I am doing with it. One huge step is the ability to 'flood' the interior of designated graphic..

or so I hope!!!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'd be interested to see what/how it does. I'm probably going to pick up an EGX-350 when the trade shows roll around to the west coast again. Just a few things I want to see and do before I make the commitment.

My experience with Roland's software is that it's usually not very user friendly or feature packed. The software for my Metaza MPX70 for example is quite horrible for any actual designing. I'm hoping it's been fixed since I last updated Dr. Metaza, but the button to add text to a pendant doesn't even work right. So I just do my designing in Corel like I do with most things and just bring it into Dr. Metaza. Their drivers seem quite robust though, so maybe they were just lacking some good programmers and QA folk for the UI side of things. Their machines are great too, so I can deal with the little quirks.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The software that comes with the EGX 350 is pretty good...I have been using it since Jan and doing well. I don't have anything to compare it with..except the GX24 and that also works well...not a whole lot of features but certainly enough to pay for the machine.. The next west coast show I guess is ISS in Jan in Long beach.. Since the promotional price is only for 90 days...and the show is about 104 days away...I don't know if you will get a break or not. My sources say that the r-wear studio will not be a part of the bundled software..but who knows...

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris...like you I am puzzled about the GX24. At Long Beach I saw another vendor http://digitalartsolutions.com/ that was making rhinestone templates using their own in house vinyl cutter...their program made the holes in vinyl but at the price..was not impressed.. The software was in beta and was around $500. but at this time only worked with the summa cutter ( I think that is what they were selling)

Anyway... I just don't know...will know more after I play with the software..

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Charles digital arts was using a GCC cutter,, I didn't understand it either unles it was for placing stones in a vinyl design in which case you could use a hole punch therfore you could buy a lot of hole punches for $500,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Chris...like you I am puzzled about the GX24. At Long Beach I saw another vendor Tools for screenprinting, sign making, laser engraving, embroidery, promotional products that was making rhinestone templates using their own in house vinyl cutter...their program made the holes in vinyl but at the price..was not impressed.. The software was in beta and was around $500. but at this time only worked with the summa cutter ( I think that is what they were selling)

Anyway... I just don't know...will know more after I play with the software..
Thanks Charles, Keep us updated. I am very curious

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roger....the software that Digital Arts is beta testing does NOT cut hole through the vinyl but only the top layer..much we do for weeding etc I saw it being demoed in Long Beach and you can take the template and brush stones into it...but even they acknowledged that vinyl had limited life... I don't see this as a serious threat to the traditional templates..

Chris...I received confirmation today that the new software will be here tomorrow...so I will play with it this weekend

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roger...I talked to guy with the software from Digital...it was in beta in Long Beach in Jan... I think they are trying to cut into the rhinestone market by 1) selling package to work with their cutter and 2) showing you don't need a 5k machine. when I saw the demo, the stones were not just falling to the holes like Roland..it was sort of hit/miss...maybe the final result will be better

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
first impression...........

The program is one CD...no book and has two programs (1) R-Wear (2) SFEDIT Both load rather quickly...less than 3 minutes...

R-Wear is the main program and unlike Engrave Studio, it seem especially designed for Rhinestone. it has very similiar toos as Engrave Studio but has added features...such as a complete library of Swarkoski stones and when you want to place individual stone, you click on the size/color you want and drag into the workspace. before reading any docs, I opened the program..flying blind...made star using the tool in the program..and highlighted it...and using the menu on the right side...told it to use 3mm stones and to fill the interior...and instantly there it was...outline and with interior flood...I also did to circles and overlapped and did the same...and the program avoided put one stone location over another..pretty seet..

The program is designed to use the GX24 and contour cut an image an cut out holes for stones to be placed on the garment after printing...I have not played with that function..

One of the problems with engrave studio is the lack of single line fonts you might want...and using Dr Engrave is awkward...this solves the problem by letting you use and TT font or windows font and will take the letter and convert to a single line font..pretty fast and easy...really opens up the text facilities..

I have a busy schedule this weekend and also fighting a severe bronchitis bout so may not get any photos of a finish product up until early next week..

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Charles, is this promo offer documented anywhere? I have a GX24 and I'm interested to see what else I could do with it using this software. If it would allow me to do vinyl templates for rhinestones, I'm definately interested.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Hi, have you had a chance to use this R-wear studio software yet? I am in the process of trying to choose a rhinestone software and machine, and am stuck between the R-Wear solution and something called CrystalCad with a BossMatic machine (out of Canada). I've seen demonstrations of the CrystalCad, but I am not familiar with the supplier and would rather go with something from home if possible. I put together a lot of do-it yourself rhinestone kits, and really want to know if you can print out your rhinestone design as a pattern that others can follow.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 200 Posts