T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so normally I use the dark transfer paper for all garments, I liked how it looked plasticy and it held up really well. But I decided to try for light colors so that I wouldn't always have white behind it. Anyway, I'm trying to heat press on american apparel children's shirts and its not sticking. I'm going by the instructions of 325 degrees for 8 seconds and it doesn't seem to want to stick.
Any suggestions?

Thanks again

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Liz,

Which brand of opaque paper did you use?

If it's the normal opaque paper, you print your transfer right side reading (just like a newspaper you read. You then peel off the backing from the transfer and place your transfer onto the shirt. Cover the transfer with a teflon sheet and heat press per the manufacturers instructions.

At any rate, which brand of paper are you using and what brand of ink are you using.

Hope this helps.

Fred

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THe opaque that I use is the O-jet opaque from MIS associates. That I have no problem with, its the T Jet heat transfer paper I'm having the problem with. If you wait a second too long its impossible to peel and if you don't heat enough it doesn't stick to fabric. I think I may have to stick with Opaque for all transfers.

Liz

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Liz,

Is the T-Jet paper for darks fabrics or light?

If you want to heat press to white and light colored fabrics and you are using pigmented inks for your transfers, I would suggest that you try heat transfer paper meant for this type of application. Opaque papers a bit expensive.

I myself use Transjet II heat transfer paper but I think they changed the name to something else, not sure. I know it is available from a number of online suppliers and I purchase mine from http://www.personalizedsupplies.com

Hope this helps.

Toonsign

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Ok, badalou to the rescue. It sound like you may be missing a step. And that is pre heating the shirt for about 3 second. it will make all the difference in the world. You are using a hot peel right. 3 second pre heat 18 to 20 sencond press on med to heavy pressing. let me know if I am correct. You leave out the pre heating and it does couse problems... been there, done that.. also you may want to get sample pack of "Iron All" paper for lights and whites from New Milford Photo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that was the problem!!! Thanks soooo much - I have to say you have been so helpful this place is the best :)
badalou said:
Ok, badalou to the rescue. It sound like you may be missing a step. And that is pre heating the shirt for about 3 second. it will make all the difference in the world. You are using a hot peel right. 3 second pre heat 18 to 20 sencond press on med to heavy pressing. let me know if I am correct. You leave out the pre heating and it does couse problems... been there, done that.. also you may want to get sample pack of "Iron All" paper for lights and whites from New Milford Photo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts