T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am a new member. My husband and I just started a sporting goods store in our small community (I still have my day job with insurance and benefits). We are new to the industry and are just starting to find our way around. I found this link from Impressions magazine and thought I'd give it a try to see what I could learn. We have a single head Amaya XT embroidery machine, a heat press, and a Melco Jet direct to garment printer which seems to be too complicated for us. Any advice in any of these areas, as well as where to buy wholesale blank garments would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks,
Carol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We live in a small town near Chattanooga, TN.
The Melco Jet is very complicated. We don't have any experience with it or the program that came with it. We have had no training on it. We bought it in mid June, I think, and the training on it isn't until some time in September. In the meantime we are spending countless hours and using a lot of shirts trying it out. Just yesterday, alarms sounded and ink was everywhere. After spending a couple of hours on the phone with service, my husband finds out there is an overflow that catches the extra ink, that apparently needs to be emptied on occassion. That would have been nice to know. The designs that came with it are too "busy" for sports fans. Most sports shirts are 1 color and relatively simple and all the designs that came with it are multicolored with lots of detail. We do not have the time or money to spend nor are we graphic designers or computer programmers. I hope this is not too negative for my second post. I do not mean to bash the company as we absolutely LOVE the embroidery machine and the training that came with it was very helpful. I just think we are too green in the industry to benefit from this high end printer.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about the trouble you are having :( it sounds like you encountered not a very good company if they sell you something and do not show you how to use it.What a pity you didn't find this forum before buying, like most of us find the information you get here is pure gold :)We all make mistakes in buying stuff,I know I did (hadn't found this forum then either :( )bought a cheap press not knowing that the press is one of the most important thing when printing,however now I have a good one thanks to the advice I read up on here.I was looking at the DTG but at the min there are to expensive as I am new to this business too and still building it up.I am sure there will be someone here that will help you,and you will get the print job you need ,just out of interest why did you go straight for a DTG?and not for plastasol's or Transpher paper?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have simplified some of the designs and colors but this takes us a lot of time as we are not familiar with the graphic/corel type programs. We are getting slightly better.

What is plastasol? When you say transpher paper, do you mean heat transfers with a heat press? If you do, we use transfers and heat press more than the DTG printer or the embroidery machine. If you mean something else, I must say I do not know what it is either.

We are still in the learning curve, so some days are more frustrating than others. My husband is ready to get rid of the DTG printer, but I see a lot of potential in it, so I have been encouraging him to keep trying. We have used 1 magenta ink cartidge which we ordered today and have not sold enough printed shirts to even pay for that one cartridge. That is very frustrating. Maybe it will be better after our training in September????? I sure hope so.

·
Registered
665 Posts
HYa yes i meant heat transfer's :) and the Plastasol's are made by screen printer's,you give them the design and they make them,you then use a heat press to get it onto the shirt,they can be used for dk or light :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts