T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are starting into the wonderful world of screen printing. We have purchased a printer (Press-a-Print) used along with all the fixin's and are trying to figure out what else we need in order to get up and running. I have a few specific questions which I'm sure y'all can help me answer.

1. Laser Printers
I need to print positives onto transparencies. What printer should I use? I have been told to get a 1200x1200 dpi printer supporting Post Script (for halftones). Is this the way to go or should I be looking at non-post script printers and RIP software? Am I correct in thinking that I don't need a PostScript printer if I have RIP software?

2. Vector Art Software
It appears that my main choices here are Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator. Is there a true advantage (other than brand loyalty) to either? Is there something better out there?

3. Additional Software
I would like to be able to do simple logo design, athletic tails, ect. (I am NOT making my own hip clothing lines at this point.) What software can I get which would be able to let me do this with minimal work?

4. Vectored art collections.
Where is a good source for some free (with license for commercial use) or cheap stock vectored art? For instance, if I want a stock bear standing up on it's hind legs, where can I get such a thing without having to pay someone to create it?

5. Where would have been the appropriate forum for these kinds of questions? (So I can do it right next time) :)

Thanks in advance,

dave

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are starting into the wonderful world of screen printing. We have purchased a printer (Press-a-Print) used along with all the fixin's and are trying to figure out what else we need in order to get up and running. I have a few specific questions which I'm sure y'all can help me answer.

1. Laser Printers
I need to print positives onto transparencies. What printer should I use? I have been told to get a 1200x1200 dpi printer supporting Post Script (for halftones). Is this the way to go or should I be looking at non-post script printers and RIP software? Am I correct in thinking that I don't need a PostScript printer if I have RIP software?

2. Vector Art Software
It appears that my main choices here are Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator. Is there a true advantage (other than brand loyalty) to either? Is there something better out there?

3. Additional Software
I would like to be able to do simple logo design, athletic tails, ect. (I am NOT making my own hip clothing lines at this point.) What software can I get which would be able to let me do this with minimal work?

4. Vectored art collections.
Where is a good source for some free (with license for commercial use) or cheap stock vectored art? For instance, if I want a stock bear standing up on it's hind legs, where can I get such a thing without having to pay someone to create it?

5. Where would have been the appropriate forum for these kinds of questions? (So I can do it right next time) :)

Thanks in advance,

dave
first drop the press and get something better with more stations and heads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first drop the press and get something better with more stations and heads.
While I appreciate your opinion based on a complete lack of knowledge of my business plan listed without any supporting data whatsoever, your post failed to address any of my questions.

Does anyone have any advice as to the above?

Much Appreciated,

dave

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
ok let me try a few of your questions...first of all it is all a matter of choice..i use a epson 1100 workforce and it works for me..i don't have rip software..(to expensive) and before anyone says you can't do halftones without..Well they have ways around it. ..I use both AI and PS ..the best way to get better at using theses programs is practice, practice, practice..and you tube...I to just started my own business but i have been screen printing for a long time and I collected my stuff in bits and pieces...i hope i was of some help...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Foot Print,
Thanks. I have seen (on some other post here) someone using photoshop to create halftones as a replacement for a gradient fill. It seems to me that this would be effective. There is no reason that a super advanced application like Photoshop can't do a fairly simple task like RIP and I find it amazing that everyone feels the need to sell this as a separate entity.

I actually, since posting this original message, found a friend willing to sell me a LJ1320 on the cheap which supports postscript (and, thus, rip) although I haven't taught myself to use it yet. :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
While I appreciate your opinion based on a complete lack of knowledge of my business plan listed without any supporting data whatsoever, your post failed to address any of my questions.

Does anyone have any advice as to the above?

Much Appreciated,

dave
So what is your "business plan", to print one shirt every 10 mins or so...have fun with that. Pirate some art software and clip art, draw your own stuff, get a epson 1400 with accurip or even advanced artist simple seps plug in for Coreldraw. Coreldraw in my opinion is easy to learn compared to AI. Plus if you buy it, it is like having PS and AI in one package that cost less than either one of Adobes crap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Typically, I would just click ignore and move on. However, since this is MY intro tread and people may read it someday, I think it's worth answering the question.

So, At risk of feeding trolls...

There are many types of screen printers in this world. Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. Some are very fast at doing single color prints. Some are good at doing multi-color prints with minimal work. Some are automated and capable of filling Wal-Mart's supply chain. It would make sense to find a product which supports the type of business you plan to run.
Press-a-Print makes a system which is not extremely fast (maybe 20 single colors prints per hour) but is capable of doing unlimited number of colors and is extremely portable.

Those of you with production background may be aware of a concept called "just in time manufacturing". This means that you don't create a product until there is a buyer for it. Businesses should consider any product they own as a liability. Blanks in boxes are a small liability, shirts which say "4th annual fun run" are a HUGE liability. You may be in the habit of pushing this liability to your clients (that's awfully nice of you) or (esp. for your own designs), you may assume this risk yourself. For instance, if you have your own designs at the street fair, you spent some time predicting not only how many sales you would make but also what sizes your customers would want. If your count is low, you lost money in opportunity cost. If your count is high, you lost money in unsellable product.

I bought a system which can not only do small to medium jobs of simple to average complexity but can also do JIT printing on location. It is very small and can be operated in my garage using up less than 1/4 of the floor space. I am NOT an expert on all the various systems but I would venture to guess that people with large multi-head printers don't pack them up and take them on tour very often.

Also, since it was thrown out there, I don't endorse stealing software nor art. People should be careful about saying such things on a public forum.

I have been reading all of the various threads across this board and am learning so much. I'm glad that this resource exists!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
A.B. i like your way of thinking and it all makes perfect sence. I had a friend who at the height of everyone making clothing lines...He did exactly what you said..he printed up a bunch of stuff went to a street fair sat for 2 days and sold just enough for lunch...his main problem was "price" design/concept was good. Price way to high..And about designs come up with alot of them simple ones complex ones find your target market and go for it..after a while you will see what sells best in your market area..short sleeve, long sleeve, white, black, what brand..I can honestly tell you it gets frustrating at times..but nothing beats being your own boss....best of luck..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts