T-Shirt Forums banner
681 - 700 of 719 Posts

· Registered
786 Posts
How many of you having weeding issues are using extra weed lines? I find that helps a lot.
I always use extra weed lines. I've only tried black and white and it weeded better. I'm trying sportfilm lite as soon as it comes off back order and will hopefully be able to compare the two. If Sportfilm has similar hand and better adhesion, I'm switching until Premium Plus (great price negated by wasted cuts) stickies up... :)

· Registered
77 Posts
Okay. I have made a decision. I prefer SportFilm Lite to Premium Plus. The End.

Now, I am going to try some samples of vinyl from Specialty Graphics...any other suggestions? I am specifically looking for the basketball vinyl...I know that Heat Transfer Warehouse sells it also...so...

· Premium Member
51,818 Posts
Now, I am going to try some samples of vinyl from Specialty Graphics...any other suggestions? I am specifically looking for the basketball vinyl...I know that Heat Transfer Warehouse sells it also...so.
You may want to start a new thread in the regular vinyl section of the forum so this thread can stay on the topic of the Stahls material :)

That way your new question can have an accurate thread title so people know by looking at the title what type of information you're looking for.

· Registered
222 Posts
Is it true that some vinyl's are known under differhent names?
For instance, I heard that sportsfilm-light light is the same as catcut-sportsfilm.
Would be nice to have some list of the equivalents.

Thanks, Robert

· Registered
1,770 Posts
Is it true that some vinyl's are known under differhent names?
For instance, I heard that sportsfilm-light light is the same as catcut-sportsfilm.
Would be nice to have some list of the equivalents.

Thanks, Robert
I am sure someone from Stahls will answer better. I believe sports film lite is a thinner version of the sports film both of which are made by Stahls. Stahls call their film/vinyl Cad Cut hence the name Stahls Cad Cut Direct.

· Registered
495 Posts
Okay. I have made a decision. I prefer SportFilm Lite to Premium Plus. The End.

Now, I am going to try some samples of vinyl from Specialty Graphics...any other suggestions? I am specifically looking for the basketball vinyl...I know that Heat Transfer Warehouse sells it also...so...
Does the SportFilm Lite have the same feel and matte finish like Premium + ?

· Registered
77 Posts
Does the SportFilm Lite have the same feel and matte finish like Premium + ?
Slightly thicker, but easier to use for me. Yes, it has a matte finish. I like it very much. I still have not given up on Premium Plus, but I had orders and SportFilm Lite was a breeze.

· Registered
222 Posts
I am sure someone from Stahls will answer better. I believe sports film lite is a thinner version of the sports film both of which are made by Stahls. Stahls call their film/vinyl Cad Cut hence the name Stahls Cad Cut Direct.
Thanks Jean,

Thats exactly what I was affraid off.
The bad news is that Stahls.de does not seem to have the lite version.

I am looking for a allternative for when premium plus fails to give me the detail, that way I can combine the two.

Kind regards, Robert

· Registered
143 Posts
Well I ordered a bunch of the premium and literally had to toss about half of the cutting job I made in the Black did not cut or weed well but then I cut a pretty intricate design in the red and it worked just fine???? I am super confused with this like I said about the black it was 20 shirts just words and had to go buy some regular vinyl to cut as the black did not work :(

· Registered
20 Posts
I've used well over 100 yards of the premium plus material, with very few problems. I've used white, black, red ,navy pink gray, orange, royal and green. Haven't wasted more than 1 yard. I know the key is a good blade, ( which has definetly paid for itself already and I did put a new cutting strip. Not sure why people are having trouble with this material. Good luck to all.

· Registered
1,614 Posts
I've used well over 100 yards of the premium plus material, with very few problems. I've used white, black, red ,navy pink gray, orange, royal and green. Haven't wasted more than 1 yard. I know the key is a good blade, ( which has definetly paid for itself already and I did put a new cutting strip. Not sure why people are having trouble with this material. Good luck to all.
Do you remember how detailed your design was with the Navy that you used?

I had trouble with the Navy but Nick (Stahls) had success with it in Neon Pink..as I later did. Also noticed that the adhesion between the vinyl and carrier was not as strong on the Navy I had vs. the Neon Pink.

· Registered
1,614 Posts
Hey Nick.....have you had a chance to cut that design in the Navy to compare results vs. the Neon Pink you cut before and had success with?

Really curious what your results are and also if you find the Navy easier to pull during weeding than the Neon Pink. Both are good relative to something like ThermoFlex but the adhesion between the Navy vinyl and carrier was much weaker than that between the Neon Pink vinyl and carrier which may provide a clue. Carrier tack felt the same for both though.

· Registered
57 Posts
Hi all
Well I already use and love sport film lite. But I was thinking of switching to premium plus because of the price. Now I am having doubts about the switch eventhough I have not tried the premium. We should I stick to sports film and forget the price difference.

· Registered
495 Posts
Hi all
Well I already use and love sport film lite. But I was thinking of switching to premium plus because of the price. Now I am having doubts about the switch eventhough I have not tried the premium. We should I stick to sports film and forget the price difference.
See if you can get a sample and check it out for yourself. :)

· Registered
16 Posts
Important Update -

Based on your feedback and our testing it appears the issues some are experiencing in cutting the material cleanly is directly related to the quality of the blade, mainly the sharpness.

I don't have a bunch of blades here, but I do have a Roland Factory Blade and a cheaper Chinese manufactured blade that we were evaluating.

After test cuts all on the Roland GX-24 with both blades, the harder, better quality blade performed perfect. This was tested on a high detail graphic at downforces of 90, 110 & 130, all with perfect success. We also varied speed from 20 cm/s to 50 cm/s without any change in result. We only tested a 45 degree, but my assumption is that a 60 degree would perform the same (we'll test it).

Now when we did the same tests with the cheaper chinese manufactured blade, we experienced failure at all of the settings. From perforated cuts to small details popping off, it wasn't successful.

So - we have to do more testing, but I wanted to provide an update as I know it....please don't get discouraged with your cutter or the material....source a sharper, higher quality blade and the results will improve drastically.

We'll be evaluating different blades from different manufacturers and hope to have some suggestions in the coming week or two.

Lastly, if you're not willing to upgrade your blade we have an entire line of materials that will work with less expensive blades...a good solution would be Sportfilm Lite, however it does not have the super soft feel and/or stretch that Premium Plus has. It does still have the manufacturer direct price advantage.

Thanks
Josh
i have a brand new roland blade, as it it's been used 2 times, new cutting strip, and it still is not working. i've got a very small company and it seems i've wasted my money on this. I tried every setting on my plotter, wasted over 3 yards so far.
i would not care so much if there was no so much hype about it, So it's all i ordered, I have no other vinyl, and i have an order due in 13 hours and no place to get vinyl in the next 13 hours :(

· Registered
77 Posts
i have a brand new roland blade, as it it's been used 2 times, new cutting strip, and it still is not working. i've got a very small company and it seems i've wasted my money on this. I tried every setting on my plotter, wasted over 3 yards so far.
i would not care so much if there was no so much hype about it, So it's all i ordered, I have no other vinyl, and i have an order due in 13 hours and no place to get vinyl in the next 13 hours :(

Wow. That sucks!! Where are you? Maybe someone on the forum is close to you.

· Registered
1,614 Posts
Ok...I'm confused....I don't remember seeing that Important Update from Josh.....where was it????

· Registered
1,614 Posts
Well I ordered a bunch of the premium and literally had to toss about half of the cutting job I made in the Black did not cut or weed well but then I cut a pretty intricate design in the red and it worked just fine???? I am super confused with this like I said about the black it was 20 shirts just words and had to go buy some regular vinyl to cut as the black did not work :(
I feel your pain Alex.

I still think there is some inconsistancy in the adhesion between the vinyl and the carrier from color to color or from batch to batch. I don't know how the adhesion is related to tack but the tack seems the same but I've definetely noticed a variation from color to color in how much effort it takes to pull the vinyl from the carrier.

My theory is that the higher the adhesion the better the vinyl stays in place during the cutting process...especially in tight corners...and the better it stays down during the weed process even with some "uncut areas".

I've asked this question a couple times to Josh and Nick but have not yet gotten any feedback on this thought. Of course, there could be nothing to the theory as well....lol

681 - 700 of 719 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.