T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying very hard to figure just when Adobe will have this stuff figured out. As of now they say that the newest PS & Illy will actually run more slowly on the new imacs. Someone told me somewhere that free updates would be given by Adobe, when the new software comes out, to anyone who buys it before October something. I don't know if this was straight from Adobe, or through some educational channel. I need to get this stuff, ASAP, but I sure as hell don't want to have to pay for an upgrade in two months or something, just so it will work LIKE IT'S SUPPOSED TO. Anyone have any thoughts?

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe my first post didn't make sense. My question is this:

Does anyone know how to best deal with the current compatability issues with new (intel) imacs and current and near-future Adobe software?

I really don't know how to deal w/ this, but I'm going to be buying both soon, assuming I can figure it out.

· Registered
48 Posts
Swing Easy said:
Maybe my first post didn't make sense. My question is this:

Does anyone know how to best deal with the current compatability issues with new (intel) imacs and current and near-future Adobe software?

I really don't know how to deal w/ this, but I'm going to be buying both soon, assuming I can figure it out.
No reply, but a few questions in return:

I don't have an Intel-Mac, but I assume that that is what you're worried about? That Photoshop might not work on a Mac with Intel processor?

Have you checked what Adobe says? Have you asked in some Mac forum what other users with the same setup says? If so, have you heard anyone complain...mmmm... I take that back. There's always people complaining about things no matter how great they are.. :)

What I meant was; Have you noticed any MAJOR criticism or such number of complaints that you even need to worry?

I haven't seen much hullabaloo about it at all, so I don't think you have to be concerned. But don't take my word for it as I haven't looked for info either. Check what Adobe and Apple and other users says.

Good luck!
Dan

· Registered
101 Posts
i downgraded to adobe cs from cs2. cs2 suxors programming-wise and is a memory hog. the only advantage would be the warp tool. although that may be not related to the question.

have you optimized your adobe settings? as well as have a fairly good amount of RAM? these are basic so you probably do.

im personally a pc person. ;) but i use em on both. illustrator is totally whack on a mac.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I think I said this all in the original question, but maybe I was unclear.:rolleyes:

Here are some points:

* ADOBE, themselves say that PS & ILLY will NOT FUNCTION AS WELL on the new imacs with Intel chips.

* I DO NOT YET HAVE the new imac OR the new Adobe software. I am PLANNING on getting these, hence the questions.

* Adobe is cagey about when they will release new versions of Illy and PS which should function better on the imacs with Intel chips.

* I am trying to figure out how not to get SCREWED by buying a poorly-functioning Illy/PS set from Adobe for a lot of $$$$, and then have them update it in a few months to something that works in an acceptable manner with the new Intel imacs.

SO, if you are a designer, and you were in this position, HOW WOULD YOU PROCEED? :confused: Buy an old version of PS/Illy on the black market? Lord knows I don't want to STEAL these programs, although we all know how easy that would be. I'm trying to do the right thing and buy them legit, but at the same time not be screwed by Adobe's (seemingly) vague and aloof attitude towards accommodating mac users.

If I sound frustrated, it's because I am. I've already got several jobs to do, more than I expected, and I really want to get going on this new computer.:eek:

Thanks for letting me vent, and if you have any ideas...:)

· Registered
534 Posts
jimiyo said:
have you optimized your adobe settings? as well as have a fairly good amount of RAM? these are basic so you probably do.

i say buy as much RAM as you can afford. Between Adobe CS2 and Mac OSX, there won't be much left.

Apple really needs to start giving you more RAM to begin with if they keep "improving" their operaing system. iTunes sure looks cool, but most people don't use it to work with!

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AddVenture said:
i say buy as much RAM as you can afford. Between Adobe CS2 and Mac OSX, there won't be much left.

Apple really needs to start giving you more RAM to begin with if they keep "improving" their operaing system. iTunes sure looks cool, but most people don't use it to work with!
iTunes is essential to me. I love it, love it, love it. As for all of these other extras, I don't need 'em. Appleworks. Give me friggin' Appleworks!!! It's been my favorite word processor for years and years, and the jerks make you buy it. I need appleworks, itunes, pictureviewer, garageband, and Safari. That's it.

So, as far as RAM, I am getting 2 Gigs. After that the cost skyrockets! 3 Gigs is over $700!! 2 gs should be enough, right?

BTW, cool stuff on your site, Kenn.

· Registered
534 Posts
Swing Easy said:
So, as far as RAM, I am getting 2 Gigs. After that the cost skyrockets! 3 Gigs is over $700!! 2 gs should be enough, right?

BTW, cool stuff on your site, Kenn.
2 gigs should do you good. and thanks for checking out the site. i wish i could take all the credit for it...i work with a great group of people and everyone does a really good job with our product. :D

oh, yeah, i love iTunes, too! and my wife can't live without iPhoto.

· Registered
206 Posts
2 gigs should be good. Also I heard that CS3 is coming out Jan-Feb and would have new code for the intel macs.

If you got CS2 now I don't think the upgrade to CS3 will be free. I'm waiting till CS3 comes out to get it.

I assume you know that the current versions run on the intel mac through rosetta. I've not tried it but people say it's slower because of the emulation it has to do. You could go to an apple store and test out their computers.

They might have photoshop working on a computer that you can test out the speed.

· Registered
1,462 Posts
I have an intel Macbook Pro 17" w/ 2 GB Ram. I have been running CS PS/IL for several months. Slow speed is not a problem. It runs stable and solid plus it puts money in my pocket. Will it be faster with CS3? I can't wait to find out! I am skipping CS2 because I have most of what I need with CS.
I also am running Windows XP with parallels. It is as fast or faster than any of my other PC's. I will be loading/testing Coreldraw X3 on my Mac next week along with some other PC only software.

If you need the tools now, and they will help you sell more, don't wait. RAM is a great investment, 2 GB is a good start. When CS3 comes out, watch the reviews and they will tell you if it is worth the upgrade price.

I started using Mac in 1985 for publishing. You want to talk about slow, I ran the first version of Photoshop on a II FX. Ram cost more than a kidney transplant then. I drank a lot of coffee waiting for files to open and filters to run. :)

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks guys.

Does anyone know if Adobe's v 2.3 will have any updates relevant to the intel imacs?

I've tested out the PS in apple stores a couple of times on imacs with the intel chips. It was pretty decent. The displays on those bigger imacs are superb! The 24" is even a little brighter than the 30" available for the tower (though that too is a sweet, sweet display).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.