T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading on this site for about a little over 2 weeks.. and I've been thinking of doing a t-shirt business for quite a long time (since middle school), but never really got serious about it.. (figured I should just do a stay at home job since Im in highschool still. From my understanding of research here. This is what I have for my set up that I will need.

Epson C88+
a 15'x15' heat press
and miracool (iron all) or transjet ii Transfer Paper.
and of course shirts.

so time for the questions.. (sorry haha.)

Im kind of on a budget here. so I remember reading that someone was talking about how they used a hand iron to start off. (muncheys?) ? I was wondering if there are any tips for someone who will be using a hand iron to begin with and later invest in a heat press. I've read and done a lot of research. so please dont give me a long lecture on how a heat press is the way to go. :rolleyes: .. I already know that... :) .. just dont think I have the funds currently. so like said, any tips for starting out with a hand iron? inputs on this one please. :(


another is. I understand that miracool or iron all tends to flake. the thing is, I am also selling simple transfers as well. so I wouldn't want my transfer paper that Im sending to flake. does anyone know what transfer paper maybe the best to send through mail without having it flake yet with good quality for my customer?? from research I think transjet ii is the way to go for doing this. can someone verify this? :)

so miracool and transjet are good for white shirts... but what transfer paper is good for black shirts?
(honestly I dont know what the difference between light transfer paper is and dark transfer paper. just know that one is used for white and one is used for black.. but what I dont understand is how it makes a difference as to the outcome? if an explaination can be given on this it would be greatly appreciated. :) )

and my guess also is that dark transfer paper should be used on colored shirts as well? :confused:

Im planning on selling on ebay for a start. any advice for that as well?

Thanks,
wiLL

this forum is possibly the most direct to point forum I've read. so far from what I read, people ask and others give them direct answers. thanks as this site helped me a lot!
although I wish I found it sooner. I bought an hp printer :mad: ... but I shall give that to my mother for her office work. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,478 Posts
Please dont forget inks.....this is going to be a major cost. If you search the posts who are using hand irons to press the digital transfers...you will see all the problems encountered....cracking, splitting, peeling, fading etc. Paper for lite shirts is relatively transperant, opaque paper is just that...solid.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,512 Posts
IKyoungBumI said:
I was wondering if there are any tips for someone who will be using a hand iron to begin with and later invest in a heat press. I've read and done a lot of research. so please dont give me a long lecture on how a heat press is the way to go. :rolleyes: .. I already know that... :) .. just dont think I have the funds currently. so like said, any tips for starting out with a hand iron
Just one tip: don't do it (see, doesn't need to be a long lecture :)).

More seriously though, you don't have to start that way - there are lots of other options. 1) Spend what money you do have on a run of shirts, and re-invest the profits. 2) Use a fullfillment service like CP, and re-invest the profits. 3) Sell blanks to classmates, and re-invest the profits. 4) Take pre-orders, and re-invest the profits. 5) Keep saving, and buy the press later rather than sooner. 6) Convince someone to invest in your idea (friends, family), etc. etc.

Heat presses and home irons aren't the only option - there are plenty of middlegrounds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
You probally shouldnt sell hand ironed shirts. The quality just wont be high enough. The shirt really needs a high tempature and the pressing helps the design to bond with the shirt material.
I would say to you to go with the HP printer for now and invest in the heat press first. There is a recent thread on here about the hp inks being pigmented inks, so maybe your printer would be fine for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hp pigmented? from everything I've read. everyone seems to say to go with the epson. also. (the person who says he was a rep for epson on every post, no offense) said that pigments wont smudge and are water resistant... I did that check that he showed to customers.. and mine bled.. so I dont think my printer is good enough.. ::shrugs::

hrmm alright forget the hand press then.. haha. what about question 2? for just selling simple transfers.

I can't get money for a heat press because Im providing everything for myself in highschool.. gas (and I have to commute about 35 miles of driving for school and back everyday.) and any other things that I may need to do.. yea still in highschool.. lot of things going on so yea..

Please dont forget inks.....this is going to be a major cost.
Durabrite for now, magic mix in the future. =D

thanks.. more inputs. ??

wiLL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
selling iron on tshirts can be hard - the quality can be low - and the start up costs can be high - have you thought about using an online printer like cafepress or printfection?? with those sites you make the design and upload it - they do the printing handle the money and everything - personally i prefer cafepress - printfection is still a bit new - there are a bunch of other companies out there also that offer online print shops you can set up for free or low cost to get started

good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,906 Posts
IKyoungBumI said:
Im kind of on a budget here. so I remember reading that someone was talking about how they used a hand iron to start off. (muncheys?) ? I was wondering if there are any tips for someone who will be using a hand iron to begin with and later invest in a heat press. I've read and done a lot of research. so please dont give me a long lecture on how a heat press is the way to go.


Instead of looking at skipping the heat press and going with an Iron, you might want to check out buying a USED heat press. Call up screen printers and t-shirt shops (under those headings in yellow pages, generally) and ask around and see if you can find anyone interested in selling a heat press. You can get one 2 to 3 times cheaper than a new one ths way, but you do of course take more of a risk that it will die sooner.

If, even after our comments and complaints, you DO decide to use an iron - make sure you apply HEAVY and CONSISTENT pressure. Get above the iron and press down with both hands to ensure you are providing enough pressure. Back when I was just making an occasional t-shirt for myself, the Avery transfers worked decently. Transjet II/Magic Jet is a better paper, but I don't know how well they work with an Iron.

IKyoungBumI said:
I understand that miracool or iron all tends to flake. the thing is, I am also selling simple transfers as well. so I wouldn't want my transfer paper that Im sending to flake. does anyone know what transfer paper maybe the best to send through mail without having it flake yet with good quality for my customer?? from research I think transjet ii is the way to go for doing this. can someone verify this? :)


As far as selling the transfers themselves goes, Transjet II/Magic Jet (they are the same) is probably the way to go. MiraCool may provide a better quality press, but the learning curve is a lot higher and customers buying the transfers would not have great results.

IKyoungBumI said:
So miracool and transjet are good for white shirts... but what transfer paper is good for black shirts?
(honestly I dont know what the difference between light transfer paper is and dark transfer paper. just know that one is used for white and one is used for black.. but what I dont understand is how it makes a difference as to the outcome? if an explaination can be given on this it would be greatly appreciated. :) )


The difference is that opaque transfers (those made for darker shirts) will transfer the entire paper over - including all white excess. They are completely opaque, meaning that you can't "see through" them at all. They are generally considered to be lower quality, giving the shirt a "rubbery" feel, but some people like that.

The regular transfers are basically translucent, so they are partially "see-through". This means they adopt the color of the shirt to some extent, so they only really work on white or ash t-shirts for the most part, but they will fuse in with the shirt better than opaques do.

IKyoungBumI said:
hp pigmented? from everything I've read. everyone seems to say to go with the epson.
Well, Epson has had pigmented inks available for a lot longer AFAIK. I've seen a few good otes about the HP pigmented inks, but Epson is probably the safer route at this point simply because it's been used a lot more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
has anyone tried using a hand iron for transjet transfer paper? I would like to see if customers would get good results with it if I do end up selling transfers as well... thanks.

if anyone could experiment with this I guess, or unless anyone has experience with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

once again, you guys are of great help.

wiLL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,766 Posts
so I wouldn't want my transfer paper that I'm sending to flake. does anyone know what transfer paper maybe the best to send through mail without having it flake yet with good quality for my customer?? from research I think transjet ii is the way to go for doing this. can someone verify this?
I would not send a iron all or miracool transfer in the mail because I will guarantee that when it gets to its destination it will be snow.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top