T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im just new here and new to the screen printing business i have been trying to put emulsion on to the screen but when i burn the image there is no image on the screen and when i wash it the whole emulsion fades can any one help or tell me what am i doing wrong

· Registered
164 Posts
When you expose the emulsion you won't necessarily see any image; it's only when you wash it out that it appears. When you wet the emulsion it may change colour but then the part not exposed will completely wash away leaving the exposed emulsion in the screen. If all the emulsion washes out then you have not exposed it long enough.
You need to:
Degrease the screen before coating and allow the screen to dry.
Scoop coat the emulsion.
Once coated, make sure the emulsion is completely dry before exposing.
Do a test strip to find out the ideal exposure time. (This may be where you have gone wrong.)
Don't use too much force when washing it out. A garden hose on spray is enough.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply so then the emulsion does not have to be mixed with any other chemical right so how long does it has to be exposed you see i just started because i tought it was easy but im having a hard time

· Registered
164 Posts
I don't think it's easy but it is achievable. It depends on the emulsion but it should have come with instructions. Usually there is a small tub of powder that you add water to mix and then pour that into your tub of emulsion. That activates the emulsion.
When the screen is coated and dry you then have to calculate your exposure time. I can’t tell you how long because it depends on the type and brightness of light and how far away your image is from it.
To work out the exposure time you need to put several pieces of card on the emulsion over your acetate during exposure and slide them out at one minute intervals from ten down to one minutes. Set your timer to ten minutes and pull a piece of card out every minute. The first piece of card you pull out will get nine minutes; the background will get ten.
If - say 4 minutes looks good you do another finer test the same but you start at 5 minutes and do one every 30 seconds from five down to 3 minutes. So you'll set your cooker timer for five minutes and at 4 minutes 30 seconds you pull your first piece of card out. You'll get a good idea of the exposure time from this.
On your simple exposure test, tape a coin to the emulsion. Where the coin is taped the emulsion should always completely wash out.
You need to do this or it willl never work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.