T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my cutter yesterday and I have so many questions. One of my first projects is to order lime green t-shirts and put the name of the fire dept. on the back of them in black. Wouldn't it be better to use the cutter? If I had screen printing equipment, I think I would do it that way so ensure a good solid black. I'm so new to this that my heat press hasn't even come in yet. I don't know what kind of vinyl to order, where to get it from, or who to contact for the shirts. I ordered some white shirts over the internet and their so thin. They would be good for the hot days around here. My next project is to attempt to make 3 inch high letters in a straight line text that is 24 inches long. The letters will be placed on an activity bus. So would do I need to do that? I'm sorry that I'm so lost. It's just that I'm fixing to be 40, just graduated college with a degree in Graphic Design and this is finally my chance to full fill my dream and I don't want to start out messing up too bad. Thanks, Karen

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know what kind of vinyl to order, where to get it from
It is important to get the right kind of vinyl because sign vinyl won't work for shirts. The vinyl you want is often just called heat press vinyl, and is available lots of places. Beacon Graphics has a whole list of different brands on their site under Heat Applied Materials. Or you might do better with a local supplier and save shipping costs. Companies like Fellers have locations across the U.S.

Here's a post on the whole process with great pictures of each step:

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/t-shirt-crossover-diary-heat-press-newbie/t10363.html

I would recommend buying extra vinyl and extra shirts. You'll need to adjust the plotter to get it cutting the right depth and pressure. It's also important to cut your designs mirror-image so that after you weed (take away the excess vinyl) you can flip it over so the clear plastic is on top. You'll probably waste a few shirts until you get the right temperature and timing down, and alignment may be tricky til you get the hang of it. And buy a teflon sheet, usually available wherever you buy the vinyl. It keeps the vinyl from melting onto your press and also keeps heat more even so the shirt looks nicer.

I hope that's helpful for a start! :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I keep trying to get the free samples from imprintables.com using the t-shirt forum link to the website. I can't get it to work. The one that's listed under here. Have you tried it? When I add the samples to the shopping cart, it charges the regular sample price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts