T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a heat press. I primarily want to start for fun and do shirts for myself, friends and some of the clubs I belong to. There is probably enough potential shirt making over the next couple of years to pay for the equipment and keep me flush with new shirts with witty sayings, but that's about all I'm looking to get out of it.

I am 90% sure that I will be getting a Phoenix Phire 16x16. Yes I know it's probably overkill for my needs and pricey to boot, but that auto-open feature is going to save me time and let me multitask. All the more important considering how proportionately little of my time I'll be spending doing this. I won't even mention how many t-shirts it will save! :)

Ok, so on to the questions...

1. From appearances and the few posts I've found about it, it seems like a solid machine. I know it's relatively new, so there's bound to be problems. Anybody have any? Any quirks I should know about? Any glaring design flaws?

2. What else should I get with it? I will be buying a vinyl cutter soon but will probably be doing plastinol transfers for the majority of my printing. Do I need a teflon sheet? Two? How long do these last? What else should I get?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
You can talk with Josh directly and ask him any questions you like. Just PM him...he reps Imprintables Warehouse. Get the lower platon teflon pad protector and maybe one other teflon sheet. I would also get some alternative pads for sleeves, pockets etc. You may ask about a cutter and press combo package deal with acc. and shipping.

·
Registered
68 Posts
raffuj said:
I am 90% sure that I will be getting a Phoenix Phire 16x16. Yes I know it's probably overkill for my needs and pricey to boot, but that auto-open feature is going to save me time and let me multitask. All the more important considering how proportionately little of my time I'll be spending doing this. I won't even mention how many t-shirts it will save! :)
I've owned a Phoenix Phire 16x20 for about 2 months, and thus far it's been a great machine. You may want to look @ the 16x20, as the footprint (amount of space it takes up) is nearly the same as the 16x16. However, it is a few more bucks.

1. From appearances and the few posts I've found about it, it seems like a solid machine. I know it's relatively new, so there's bound to be problems. Anybody have any? Any quirks I should know about? Any glaring design flaws?
Thus far I'm very happy with my PP. I really like the auto-release feature, and it sure feels like a quality piece of equipment. Again, it's only been a few months, but so far, I've very pleased.

2. What else should I get with it? I will be buying a vinyl cutter soon but will probably be doing plastinol transfers for the majority of my printing. Do I need a teflon sheet? Two? How long do these last? What else should I get?
I would get a couple sheets of teflon, and perhaps some craft paper with your heat press.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
So far we've had little to no problems with the Phoenix Press, outside of occasional shipping damages. The unit is constructed of laser cut steel so there are no weldings to break and little flex in the unit on high pressure applications. The press does come with a 5 year warranty and I have some customers that now have 100,000 + hits on the machine with no maintenance. Its manufactured by Hotronix, the same people who make the Mighty Press brand, so I wouldn't worry about performance. As mentioned, I'd recommend a couple teflon sheets & a quick slip pad protector to start.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
raffuj said:
Do I need a teflon sheet? Two? How long do these last? What else should I get?
Teflon sheets will last for a long time. They take quite a while to wear down much at all. You might also want a teflon pad for the bottom of the press if it doesn't come with one.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Is this a portable machine? How much does it weigh about? I need something that is portable and I can take with me to events. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I say if you can afford the unit buy it. However my Might Press 15 x 15 has a very loud buzzer (see video) and I can play a hand of poker and still open my press when the buzzer sounds.
I dont know why, but my mightypress actually has a different buzzer. Its just a beep noise, like a microwave makes.

With a 5 year warranty though, how can you go wrong. I would definitely buy this machine if I was in the market for a new heat press. I believe the mightypress only has a one year warranty

·
Registered
6 Posts
Twinge said:
Teflon sheets will last for a long time. They take quite a while to wear down much at all. You might also want a teflon pad for the bottom of the press if it doesn't come with one.
Speaking of teflon pads...I'm considering a used HT-600. the platen is discolorated and the pad has to be replaced. Would this cause me problems even if I used a teflon sheet as well? srry to steal the thread:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts