T-Shirt Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, i was wondering if anyone can point me to a company who provides the following...

1:both silk screening and embroidery done in-house

2:the ability to order my garments thru thier store

3:no set up fees

4:timely turn around

5:no minimun order requirements, but also have the ability to fill large orders

·
Registered
243 Posts

Best of all worlds. I haven't seen any online that will cover all your requirements.

I think your best shot is going to be establishing a relationship w/ a local shop that does silk screening and embroidery. If you're going to be a loyal client, you can probably eliminate the set-up and minimum orders.

·
2,957 Posts
Yeah...I agree completely. That's what I have done with my local shop. They still have a minimum of 12 units, but their quality is excellent, they do embroidery and screen printing, and on top of that they are the cheapest in terms of price anywhere around!

Do some investigating locally, and I'm pretty sure you should be able to find pretty close to what you're looking for. You probably would want to go and interview them in person with a list of questions ready. I can think of a few, others might want to add some:

For Screen Printing

• What are your minimums?
  • Do you charge for color changes?
  • Do you charge for cleaning up my artwork?
  • What are your screen sizes?
  • Are there any screen charges?
  • What is your “usual” turn-around time?
  • Can I see examples of your work?
  • Can you give me info of current and past clients as references?

For Embroidery

• Minimums?
  • How much per thousand stitches?
  • Do you charge for digitizing? How much?
  • What kind of backing do you use?

Again I know I’m leaving some things out. But this should get you started pretty good. I know others will definitely chime in. As far as getting your garments from them, most shops will have this as a convenience. But you need to know that more often than not, you can get your garments from the same places they do, usually at the same prices. They most often mark the prices up to make money that way also. Another thing to consider with getting your garments from them is they may not have what you need. If you are just wanting a few to see the quality of work, then that might be the way to go. But if you are going to be having work done in larger quantities with any regularity, I would suggest finding the style and quality of shirt that you want on your own and getting those wholesale. You will save a ton of money.;)

Hope this helps!:D

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I'd have to agree that you local phonebook could be your best friend here, especially with this requirement:

no minimun order requirements, but also have the ability to fill large orders
You'll have a hard time finding a screenprinter that has NO minimum orders. Most start with at LEAST a 12 piece minimum, many are higher than that (due to the setup involved in getting a quality screen print). If you find someone that can do screen printing one-off, then it's not likely that they will also be able to fill the large orders in a timely manner.

Without that requirement, almost any screen printing shop fits the guidelines :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx guys for the feedback... i have spoken with my local area shops... all of them can do what i require of them... the only thing is, they want to charge for setup fees, each and every time i have them make a run for me... they say they use the same screens for all customers, and dont save old ones... other than the issue of them charging for the setup fees, they meet all my requirements...

i would rather go with someone local anyhow, as to the fact that i personally would be able to oversee the quality of the product i am getting, and selling to my customers... also, i would then be able to double check all orders before sending them out...

so you think that if i let one of them be my exclusive shop that they will negate the setup fees for me, provided i make a descent sized order everytime i placed one? or maybe just a one time set up fee?

·
2,957 Posts
That's interesting. If you show them that you will be a repeat customer, I don't see why they wouldn't keep the screens. I know my shop keeps them automatically. From the very first run of 12 I did, they still have those screens and had no idea if I would be coming back to them. The second run I did with them there were no set up fees because they still had them. They do this for all of their customers.

I think you can talk to them and persuade them to waive the set up fees and keep your screens once they see you will be a repeat customer.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Depending on what they’re charging you per shirt, they might have to charge you a set-up to remain profitable if they perceive you’re going to be doing a lot of small runs. The set-up fee is often used to get you to print more. $25 set-up spread over 12 shirts is some decent profit per shirt for them. Take that set-up fee over 12 dozen shirts, I’m sure they’ll give it up.

Some places refer to screening and set-up costs as the same thing. Others do not. I can’t see why they’re throwing out screens unless they have a storage problem. In either case, offer to store the screens yourself. Kind of a pain in the @ss, depends how close the shop is to you.

Some print shops are at their max capabilities. Once they’re at that level, they can pretty much charge whatever they want to new customers because they don’t care if they get the job(s) or not. Why not “cherry pick” if you have the luxury?

You might want to offer paying the screening cost on the first round, but not on reorders. If they don’t bite on that… next! Look for a shop that’s a little hungrier. They are out there!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CoolHandLuke said:
Depending on what they’re charging you per shirt, they might have to charge you a set-up to remain profitable if they perceive you’re going to be doing a lot of small runs. The set-up fee is often used to get you to print more. $25 set-up spread over 12 shirts is some decent profit per shirt for them. Take that set-up fee over 12 dozen shirts, I’m sure they’ll give it up.

Some places refer to screening and set-up costs as the same thing. Others do not. I can’t see why they’re throwing out screens unless they have a storage problem. In either case, offer to store the screens yourself. Kind of a pain in the @ss, depends how close the shop is to you.

Some print shops are at their max capabilities. Once they’re at that level, they can pretty much charge whatever they want to new customers because they don’t care if they get the job(s) or not. Why not “cherry pick” if you have the luxury?

You might want to offer paying the screening cost on the first round, but not on reorders. If they don’t bite on that… next! Look for a shop that’s a little hungrier. They are out there!
first off, thanx for the continuous help... second you say 25 bucks for set up... the local guy i am talking to is quoting me 20 bucks per color, is that a fair price??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.