T-Shirt Forums banner

521 - 540 of 566 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Hey folks! I'm a newbie here; this is my first post except for one in the introduction forums. I just spent most of my free time during the last two days reading *all* the posts in this thread, so I'm a bit cross-eyed now. ;-) Anyway, I wanted to get a clarification from one of the experts. A while back there was a discussion about the problems with white inks and DTG printers. In a nutshell, the solids separate and clump together in the bottle or *gulp* in the printer head.

When does the timer start on this process? I'm new to all of this, so I'm trying to understand the problem better.
In a "nutshell" as soon as the ink sits, it will start to separate. Gentle agitation and the sworling that hapens in the lines and dampers keeps it mixed, but if you let it sit over 24 hours you can "see" it separating in the lines. If you have open air system (bulk) any ink that is on top will skin, clump and eventually sink and possibly get sucked into the tubes. Dampers have filters that help keep this out of the head and nozzles, but this will have a negative effect on flow and the velocity and how the ink gets mixed. If you choose to use white ink, understand how to purge it from the system if you will not be using it on a daily basis. If you keep everything healthy, you might make it through a weekend of non use, but the time that it takes to get up and running on Monday AM may have be better spent (less time) by doing preventative care on Friday. The more printing you do the more economical it all becomes.
Also if you choose a baged/degassed system and you follow your maitenance, you can expect to get about 2 years out of a head. If you do bulk, you'll be lucky to get one year.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hey Z nice to see we have moguls watching our backs. You could not have said it better. What that means mermaldad "never use more ink than you need because you will have to flush your system after use to prevent clog."

·
Registered
110 Posts
hi i would just like to let everone no that i have created a app to intergrat dirrectly with gutenprint and will be releasing it soon in the next few days i will start a new thread to disscuss more and to upload some snap shots of the project so far

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello all,

I am using t1100 and I am also trying to tweak the gutenprint myself too, I have managed to finally tweak to a good color output on white-tshirt, but I am using the 1440x1440 with no quality enhancement, the amount of ink is good, no bleed but full color, it takes a long time to do but I guess it finally turn out to be okay.

So, now, I am starting to tweak the white underbase. What I find out when printing with the gutenprint is that it left one of the black cartridge unused. So, I think I am now going to try and adjust the xml file (if this is the right direction) to use the unused black channel with white ink. I have confident that with one channel of white will be able to lay enough ink with one pass. (before when I was tweaking, i have managed to lay down a puddle of black ink, but bear in mind that it only use 1 channel as well.)

I am not sure if tweaking the xml file will work but I will update the post if I ever managed to get the cmyk+w to work.

P.S. Thanks to Colorfinger that he shed some light on tweaking the xml :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
the gutenprint tweak was actually from me bla bla hahaha i have been working on gutenprint and a standalone version for quite some time i have a program that will use the gutenprint backend very well but the programming is very crude only using one channel for white is not very gd idear white ink is thicker and u will not get that puddle like the black you talked about white will not cover a black shirt from one channel trust me ive tried u cant get enough ink out of the head

Anyways the new thread is here :

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/diy-dtg/t176895.html

Many Thanks Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Haha, sorry about that Rob

Anyway, I have tried to use the new ekrip for the t1100, their setup are also cmyk+w, I know that there are difference between commerical RIP and gutenprint, but i am thinking if commerical RIP can do that, with a bit of tweak will gutenprint be able to acheive the same results but only slower?

Patrick

·
Registered
110 Posts
ek rip have one lol well i didnt no that well yes saying that then it should be possible i would use raw mode for printing the underbase it seems to put down more ink

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, i was also surprise that ekrip would chose to use only 1 channel, but i guess they would prefer to keep the black without using the three color composite.

·
Registered
110 Posts
yer 3 colour composit is crap u wont get a nice black with it on a white shirt held up to the light will show a weird brown color and not black i use a r1800 for my dtg with 4 white chanels i can get it to make a nice puddle

·
Registered
17 Posts
yeah, i tried to tweak the cmy balance for the three-color composite, but the result is nowhere near than using the black ink.

Anyway, I am now looking at the xml and tried to tell gutenprint to use the unused black channel, , hope I am heading the right direction :)

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
That's great guys! You see Rob there are people out there who want to work with this thing. It's just for them to stumble to the thread.
That's pretty likely as this is not a programming board. The spirit of open source is pretty much alive in the posts in this forum. So it couldn't be an unwillingness or lack of interest especially on something of value to those concerned.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hmmm..... After a few days of testing, I realized that no matter how I tweak the xml file in GIMP, I still have no success in using the other black channel......

Not sure what to do now, but i guess I will keep on trying, hope it doesn't involved with the print driver itself coz I have no clue what to do with that.....

·
Registered
472 Posts
Ok let’s take a step back fellas. I have not done much programming except for web stuff and C a long time ago. And I mean a long time ago. But I’m a hardware guy and many times have to breakdown complex things into smaller modules to make sense.

From what I’m seeing the xml files sets values for the printer interpretation (ink flow etc.) It is the actual program that determines what color ink goes where according to the channels set in the software. For example if channel one is black then it stays black and the xml coding determines the size of the puddle but only to a certain degree, line spacing and paper advancement according to model of printer. Hence a different xml file for each printer model.

For anyone to make this thing work you will need the source code from the original owner to work with and change some of the values in it to get what you want. Or use it as a model to develop a new package. But there is a crude way to sort of make things work as is. If you just fill the cartridge that should contain black ink with white ink and print an all-black image. Then print a full color image after emptying and refilling with black ink.

That’s the way I see it guys. Let’s move on to the next chapter. Can we get the source code?
Hey Rob ring up the guy again and see where he stand on parting with his source code.

Edited

I did some googling and found that the source is available under gnu license.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Arghhh, So it comes to the source code....

But the question remains, why would gutenprint only use 1 black channel to print when there are 2 black channels?

I am not sure, but I will also try and look deeper into it and see.

521 - 540 of 566 Posts