T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 566 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Team! I just finished programming the Gutenprint definition files for the 1100 and 1400 to allow printing a white under-base with 3 color composite. It has been altered to print four passes of each color. This should lay down a sufficient amount of ink to make a good print. This is experimental and no warranties are explicit or implied. I don't believe it can cause any harm to your printer. Give it a try and see if it fits your needs.

On the 1100 replace both black with white.

On the 1400 replace the black, light cyan and light magenta with white.

http://diydtg.wikispaces.com/Gimp+Color+&+White+Printing

Post your experience here...

Thanks,

Bob ?;O)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would like to know how it works. Do I need to make a file for white image and another for the cmy, print the white first and then the cmy after it?

Or just click print one time and it will send two printing jobs to the printer?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to know how it works. Do I need to make a file for white image and another for the cmy, print the white first and then the cmy after it?

Or just click print one time and it will send two printing jobs to the printer?

Thanks
I'm working on a howto... To answer your question, yes. You need to create two files. One for the white on black and another for the color to print over that white background...

Bob ?;O)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Awesome Bob!! I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know.
Did you have to create a new printer driver file, or just add a new printer in the xmls?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome Bob!! I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know.
Did you have to create a new printer driver file, or just add a new printer in the xmls?
Thanks
Luis, there are a couple of the XML files that I had to mess with. One, the inks and two the models. There are other things we could do but we need to make sure we are on the right track... So far I'm impressed with the flexibility of the software. I have it set so that it will always lay down the largest drops possible. This should help preclude any clogging. I suspect we might have some tweaking to do but believe we are on the right track here. Next step is to create a plugin that will make the under-print and separate it from the image and send them one at a time to Gutenprint.

Bob ?;O)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Have you actually printed on a black shirt? Once I tried printing on a white shirt that had a black strip in the middle, the PW sensor interpreted it as the end of the front paper guide, so it would not print beyond that point. From what I read in the developers manual, we could disable the PW sensor from the printer driver file, but it would requiere diggin a bit into it and of course recompiling the whole thing, but I guess you are already recompiling everything, right?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you turn edge to edge printing off you should not need to worry about the PW sensor. It will print fine from my experience. If I remember, I put a piece of metal tape over the PW sensor and didn't think twice about it. Let me know how it goes. I have never printed on a black shirt... yet.

Bob ?;O)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Bob, have you printed with the 3 color composite already? I have printed some designs, but I do not like the colors. Black looks more like a very dark green. Compared to CMYK printing, there is a huge difference in color quality. Have you experienced this?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Bob, have you printed with the 3 color composite already? I have printed some designs, but I do not like the colors. Black looks more like a very dark green. Compared to CMYK printing, there is a huge difference in color quality. Have you experienced this?
We may have to do some tweaking to the profile to get it right... Did you print a white under-base? My new 1100 is still in the box. I haven't ripped into it yet so I don't currently have a working build... I'm working on a totally new design which will dramatically depart from the direction DTG has been going. I'm doing allot of prep-work right now.

This idea for Gutenprint was burning in my head so I decided to knock it out to make it available. I will spend more time working on it in the near future. So, the composite will need some work. Got it. Thanks for the feedback. Now, is anyone else getting the same experience? I'll pull it out of the box this weekend and take a look-see.

How was the density? Did it take much longer to print with 4 passes instead of 2? Could you post some pics?

Bob ?;O)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Luis,

This might be an easy fix... In Gutenprint:

1) Select the Output tab.
2) Click on the grey box that says "Adjust Output"
3) Activate the "Magenta" and bump it up a bit... Keep trying till you get a good black. Please let us know what value you settle on.

I hope this helps.

Bob ?;O)

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ok, I'll give it a try. The problem might be when printing photograph with people faces, the magenta will over saturate those areas don't you think? Before you start disasembly of your printer, I recomend you try printing an image in both composite and 4 color standard. In paper you would be able to see the difference more clearly. I haven't tested the underbase yet, but I will dig into it now. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I'll give it a try. The problem might be when printing photograph with people faces, the magenta will over saturate those areas don't you think? Before you start disasembly of your printer, I recomend you try printing an image in both composite and 4 color standard. In paper you would be able to see the difference more clearly. I haven't tested the underbase yet, but I will dig into it now. I'll let you know.
Good idea... There is a way through linearlization to get this to work. I'll have to pull up my sleeves to figure it out however.

Bob ?;O)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Bob, here are the pictures. On the left side using Gutenprint in "Four color Standard" (CMYK). On the right side using composite. The Green Lantern picture was done using Gutenprint. The Other one EK.

I do not see how we could achieve the same quality using any color profile, linearization or the like.

Any thoughts?:(

Note: In each picture, gutenprint CMYK was used for the left t-shirt. In the GL picture, the right shirt was printed using Gutenprint composite. In the optimus picture, the right shirt was printed using EK composite. Sorry if my previous explanation caused any confusion.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
On the Green lantern picture, I even did 2 passes (720 dpi) on the composite to see if that could help. It actually made it worse. On the other pricture, both are single pass.

1 - 20 of 566 Posts