T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a package deal to get started in the t-shirt printing business. I have looked at Vastex, Printa, and others. A lot of money for a beginner. I then found the presses by Ryonet. It is a lot less money to start out.

My question is this a good system to start with to see if my business will be successful. Then I can step up to a better system. Any advise would be great. Thanks

Fletch

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I think I'd avoid printa for sure. Vastex would be a great option.

As for Ryonet, are you talking about the Riley Hopkins press? If so, that is supposed to be a great press.

If you want more info, you may want to ask your questions here:

http://boards.screenprinters.net/

If you're strapped for cash, you may want to look for a good used press. Often times you can find great deals. A lot of people seem to jump in without doing thier research and realize there is a lot more to it than they expected.

Check out the classifieds here and at the link I posted. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Neato. Will most likely go with the Riley Hopkins. Trying to weight the start up cost vs quality.

Chad

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think I'd avoid printa for sure. Vastex would be a great option.

As for Ryonet, are you talking about the Riley Hopkins press? If so, that is supposed to be a great press.

If you want more info, you may want to ask your questions here:

TSPMB - The Screen Printers Message Board!

If you're strapped for cash, you may want to look for a good used press. Often times you can find great deals. A lot of people seem to jump in without doing thier research and realize there is a lot more to it than they expected.

Check out the classifieds here and at the link I posted. :)
Why "avoid printa for sure"??

signed, owner of a press-a-print system :-( looking for something else...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Chad, I am in the same boat. Looking for a start up press that will not break the bank. What did you go with? Did you look at a Lawson Beta 42?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I hate to piggyback on Neato...but used systems are always a good bargain. I looked on other forums, craigslist, ebay, etc and was able to find a great used system. It was one that a printer used until they upgraded. When I went to pick it up, I just asked them if there was some startup stuff they were willing to get rid of. I left with 22 - 5 gallon buckets of ink (I have only purchased 3 gallon and printed over 4000 shirts so far), scoop coater, 4 screens, 3 squeegees... Yes, a good deal indeed. The used systems are the way to go for the money. Most times there are lots to choose from.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am considering starting a Press A Print. Why are you "looking for something else"? I'm curious what your experience with them was?:)
Just saw your post and thought I would let you know we purchased the Press A Print system in June and love it. The service, options, accessability and training was very, very good. They have several options to choose from. Be cautious of buying a used system though. We met a lady thought bought a used Press A Print set up but didn't get all the benefits of being a first time buyer. She didn't get the software, had to pay 7,500 for the lifetime support and ended up spending so much on other stuff that had she bought outright, she would have spent less money. I'm sure everyone probably has different thoughts on the topic, but we couldn't have imagined going with a different company. Without the overhead, we are much better off.

P3

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I was curious to know how good the PAP training really is. I am a graphic designer, so I have no concerns about computers, artwork or press operation so the most important aspect for me is the business side. I have never run a business and need help with all the legal matters, pricing, selling permits, marketing. I love that PAP offers that and the other companies don't, but the other companies just seem to have more professional equipment at a WAY lower price. My other concern is trying to get to Idaho Falls for a week. Work schedules, childcare, etc. is making that difficult. Plus I got scared off when I looked online and saw the giant mormon temple in town. No offense to Mormons, but we are just not religious people, so that is freaking me out a little bit. Is there anything you can tell me to ease my concerns? Thanks!! Kate

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I was curious to know how good the PAP training really is. I am a graphic designer, so I have no concerns about computers, artwork or press operation so the most important aspect for me is the business side. I have never run a business and need help with all the legal matters, pricing, selling permits, marketing. I love that PAP offers that and the other companies don't, but the other companies just seem to have more professional equipment at a WAY lower price. My other concern is trying to get to Idaho Falls for a week. Work schedules, childcare, etc. is making that difficult. Plus I got scared off when I looked online and saw the giant mormon temple in town. No offense to Mormons, but we are just not religious people, so that is freaking me out a little bit. Is there anything you can tell me to ease my concerns? Thanks!! Kate
Well if you already have the graphic design down, you are way ahead of anyone buying into Press A Print. Other equipment may be cheaper, but... they don't help you with the business part, they don't give you a business coach, they don't provide hands on training, they don't stock supplies for you to order as you need and still get discounted pricing, they don't have the networking capabilities, what you get for what you pay for is worth every cent. We have looked at starting other businesses but you are all on your own. As for the Mormon thing, all I can say is you shouldn't be afraid of a temple unless it walks up and bites you. We didn't have one problem in Idaho and we drove through the entire state. Everyone was courteous, there was no religious discussion (I have more problems at home in CA quite frankly of people who knock on the door and don't take a polite "no thank you" than we did on our trip). You definitely have to make the time to go, but they have training all year long that you can schedule in advance (I just happen to switch jobs and took the time off in between and my mother-in-law who just retired stayed at our house with our son). We feel it was worth it. The heat press we bought is exactly what you would buy elsewhere, the button maker is essentially what you would buy elsewhere, the screen printer is nothing more than a manual press with the flasher attached and lord knows the manual presses are still very highly used today. So as far as equipment being more professional, only if you have a shop and lots of endless cash to spend would you get more "professional" equipment.

Hope that helps, let us know if you decide to go with PAP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well thanks so much for your help with this - I really do appreciate it and you have helped calm my nerves. It is very scary to spend that much money and just jump into the unknown (and we don't even HAVE the money as I've been a stay-at-home mom for 7 years now so we'll have to try and get some sort of loan I guess). Living on one income just isn't cutting it anymore. The religious aspect was mainly with my kids - if we were to bring them along and put them in a daycare while we were in the training. I'm just not comfortable with that so we are trying to find another solution. My other big fear is not being able to find customers. I suspect that t-shirts would be easier to sell than the promotional products.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts