T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I can buy new Epson Sc-f6000 for apx 8000Euro with RIP soft or buy second hand Epson 9700 with continuous bulk ink system for apx 3000 Euro (without RIP).
What would you recommend?
Do we need RIP or can use for example power driver by Sawgrass?

·
Registered
26 Posts
How experienced are you with sublimation? If you have multiple previous wide format printers and just need an other workhorse printing roll after roll I would go with the 9700 (as long as the head is in good condition, 3000 is a lot for a used one). But if this is your first and you don't have a lot of experience in profiles, inks, clogging, cleaning, changing heads etc then the F series really is a turnkey product with a warranty from Epson. I really like the F6070 we got.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have experience with A3 sublimation only,but have long term experience with DTG printing.
Epson 9700 is offered with new head,cos old one had some problem with blue.
BTW: is clogging serious problem in these printers?
In DTG printers,we had a lot of problems with white clogging only,because of low humidity.
But in sublimation,there is no white ink.

Have noticed,that 9700 has better resolution

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are no major clogging issues if you are printing all the time (everyday). And it sounds like you are familiar with the hardware aspects of dealing with possible repairs with your self.

Resolution has very little meaning if you are sublimating onto fabrics. For some hard substrates it is possible that there is a case where the extra resolution is useful. Again depends what you are planning on doing.

You comfortable making a custom ICC? If answer is sure yes then there really isn't a reason not to buy the 9700 except I would try to get it for less, you said head is new but how old is the printer? You will spend a little more time getting it all working, in the end you will have somewhat more freedom since you can use different inks but for most applications end result is exactly the same. If main target is just to get printing and making money the F series is a lot more straight forward.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No,I don't have experience with custom ICC profiles, but Inktec has one.
Could you describe the difference between these printers cos if I read product specification on the Epson website,I don't see difference.
Another things,ink to F series is s 3x more expensive,than Inktec (licence from Sawgrass).

·
Registered
26 Posts
No,I don't have experience with custom ICC profiles, but Inktec has one.
Could you describe the difference between these printers cos if I read product specification on the Epson website,I don't see difference.
Another things,ink to F series is s 3x more expensive,than Inktec (licence from Sawgrass).
I don't have experience with Inktec inks so cannot comment there. The F series is specifically made for sublimation and Epson takes responsibility of the whole system working. The actual printer does not seem all that much different to me but I am not an expert. Maybe others know more about the actual differences? With the 9700 you will be responsible for making it all work. Its not all that difficult but will take some time and effort.

If you know you will be printing a lot go with the 9700. One a little annoying thing I forgot about the F series is that it doesn't take "full" size rolls of paper. Both machines need a take up roller if you are going to be doing production type printing.

If you have a local dealer who can sell you a Mutoh package don't count that out either, they are great printers for wide format sublimation (I don't have one but a company we out source some stuff to uses them and they seem be real workhorses.

Many people here probably don't agree but in my opinion the actual printer in the end doesn't really matter all that much. If you have good inks, good RIP and good profile all these machines will give you a good result.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.