T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't had the luxury of a warranty in years! I wonder how alternative inks will run through them? Probably just fine is my guess. Reliability, for me, is worth money. Are they worth the money?

· Registered
642 Posts
Is anyone using the new Epson Sure Color printer? Any comments about it?
Here's a link about the 6070: Epson F-Series Dye-Sublimation Transfer Printer | Epson SureColor F6070
I was one of their beta testers and the machine didn't suit my needs. The amount of work to make the colors match my Mutoh didn't work for me.

There was also a lot of "check" stops while running the machine. For example, if the printer wasn't set back to ready after cutting your transfer, even though the RIP sent to print, it wouldn't print. You always had to make sure it was set back to "READY", where with my Mutoh, it was RIP and print, not worrying about the machine being manually set back to "READY."

I'm not sure if Epson changed this, but, for me, I didn't like it.

Epson's paper was being made by Beaver. Not sure if they moved on from them. One thing I didn't care for were the short rolls of paper (328ft) at a higher price than what I'm paying for the 393ft we're running on the Mutoh.

Last but not least, the ink. IMPO, I believe that J-Teck and Manoukian have the best blacks in the business. I didn't care for the Epson black, which is put together as a straight black, similar to a CMYK black if you will. The other two inks are more of a RGB Black, which is super black. Their other colors printed nicely.

I think there is tremendous importance when moving into wide format to select the right machine. I love the entire process of the Mutoh, and when coupled with the J-Teck ink, I know exactly what I'm going to get if I add a third, fourth, etc. Mutoh. Same goes if you are running Epson, Mimaki, Roland, etc.

As far as a warranty, well, knock on wood, I've been running my Mutoh for almost 6 years without a problem. Therefore, the 1 year warranty wouldn't have done much for me.

Good luck!

· Registered
128 Posts
I believe many of JYA's issues were part of the beta process. A proper dealer such as myself could likely resolve the color issues as well but you also ran with the original Epson black which has been improved. When I sold Manoukian inks, it was my job to match colors from competitors inks. I won't claim 100% match success but you can get excellent results if you know what you're doing. Since I've moved away from Manoukian I realize how much better J-Teck inks are for pure reliability.

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe many of JYA's issues were part of the beta process. A proper dealer such as myself could likely resolve the color issues as well but you also ran with the original Epson black which has been improved. When I sold Manoukian inks, it was my job to match colors from competitors inks. I won't claim 100% match success but you can get excellent results if you know what you're doing. Since I've moved away from Manoukian I realize how much better J-Teck inks are for pure reliability.
Thanks for all of these great responses!

· Registered
125 Posts
We are also an epson beta tester. I am almost 100% happy with the printer.

Short paper rolls and having to rig up my own catch basket are the worst two things.
Also I do not mind they put a chip on the ink but a chip on the waste sponges / maintenance kit is a little silly.

We have not encountered any color issues or having to hit reset or whatever the previous poster was saying. We often run our printer overnight.

We actually replaced 2 mutoh's with one epson. Part of that is the printer is faster (2-4 year old rj900's) and part is we changed to Ergosoft posterprint.

I was tired of fighting the mutoh's. Perhaps the new ones are better but we had to replace a couple of print heads, had nozzle drop outs, etc... with them.

Good luck!
Brent

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.