T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 675 Posts

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
hey members, I thought i would share the news with you that is a New Transfer Paper for Color Lazer copy machines and Lazer Printers going to enter the market in the near future, or it may already have.

The owner of the company has informed us that with this new Transfer Paper Media it will print on shirts with no-need to cut around and delivers great results.

I will be getting some samples this coming week myself.

Its about time. :)

the company is:

AutoART Color Solutions Inc
Tel: 1.800.471-7103
647-724-4403 Toronto
716-304-1086 Niagara Falls / Buffalo NY
www.autoart.ca, www.autoartusa.com

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: NEW Digital Transfer Paper: DuraCotton

The old paper for fuser oil is still in the market. I tryed the paper and there is a palemer around the image.I did have to cut it is not like image clip. The new paper is like the old paper for the new laser printer with higher heat.you have to test it.
I'm suppose to receive some test samples of the new paper when it comes out.I've been waiting 7 monthes for the paper to come out and it's still in it's test process. Can't wait to try the new paper.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Hi
I talked to Ken Black, at AutoArt (the suppliers) and he gave me some more info. The new paper is an improvement so it is said, although I never used the old stuff. I have pressed an image he sent to me, will do a wash test tomorrow. As well, there will be a duradark paper, works the same, and a printing system for using white toner is being developed. The system requires two laser printers, one color and the other mono (the black toner in this one being replaced by white). I suppose the transfers are run through first one and then the other before pressing.
So, it might end up that we can use a system on dark items as well.
I have been using a Miracool paper with inkjet, and the idea for the duracotton is supposed to be the same: the toner/ink is put into the cotton, not just on top. It's not sublimation exactly since that involves the inks becoming a gas and then solid again - but the basic concept appears the same, to come close to sublimation on a natural fiber. And, the carrier is not very visible.
If I hear more, I'll report on it.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

...wow,
Ken, the owner of the company delieved the sample transfer media paper to our Dowtown Toronto location. Same day delivery WITHIN 3 HOURS, thats great service. :D ...i dont think its because Lucy wants to try the paper. lol

However, i will not see it untill tomorrow because im not in Toronto, one of the girls is coming over (150 km away) and she'll bring it with her for me. Nice Eh! :)

can't wait to try it..... no trimming involved. I have to see it to believe it.

·
Registered
417 Posts

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

...just tested the transfer paper by drawing some lines with a Sharpie marker and heat pressed it on to 100% cotton jersey fabric. No trimming around the lines at all, applied the entire 8x11 sheet on the shirt. iT looks ok and feels soft.
Need to test it with a lazer home printer. Will wash test it all later.
So far so good. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts

There was no outline at all?? It is hard for me to see the edges, photo is cropped a little tight for a whole sheet.
Is this stuff for real?!?!?! Anyone recommend a good laser? :p
Thanks T-BOT :D

·
Registered
205 Posts

T-Bot,
Can't wait to see your finished test on this new paper.
Thanks for keeping us informed.

I have emailed them for samples of this cotton transfer paper with no luck yet.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

hi guys, sorry about the cropped photo, here is another:

so i purchase a New Laser Printer off the shelf yesterday at the Future Shop.

the sales guy there was extremely helpful. :D

i got a HP LajerJet 2600n ($360 CND), its kind of big for my little desk though. Its working fine but im scared to try this new paper....(heard stories that the paper may stick to the inside of the printer and that will be the end of the printer :eek: )....

i will try to build up my nerve.

Any tips before i try it ?

·
Registered
9,139 Posts

T-BOT said:
i will try to build up my nerve.

Any tips before i try it ?
a prayer to the laser printer gods might help. :D

From reading their web site the paper may jam when the printer is hot. One copy shouln't cause too much heat.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

ok, i prayed, closed my eyes and clicked Print.

I loaded 2 sample sheets, printed 2 transfers, looks great. There was just a little black smuge on the graphic. Du-no why?

below shows a paper print on the left and the transfer on the right.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Nice big pic of the printed shirt.. looks like the outline of the 8.5x11 paper can still be seen.. or are those straight lines from the heatpress? have you washed it yet?

FYI from the autoart website:

Printers tested include: HP 2550, HP 4500, Oki 3100, Alps, Minolta 24xx, Minolta 61xx, Tally 8006e, Tally 8008, Lexmark C510, Lexmark C720

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

incunabula said:
Nice big pic of the printed shirt.. looks like the outline of the 8.5x11 paper can still be seen.. or are those straight lines from the heatpress? have you washed it yet?

FYI from the autoart website:

Printers tested include: HP 2550, HP 4500, Oki 3100, Alps, Minolta 24xx, Minolta 61xx, Tally 8006e, Tally 8008, Lexmark C510, Lexmark C720
will do all the washing later, still playing around with the off the shelf printer (its not on the list.:( ).

...no trimming and looks a lot better than i thought it would. Can't really see the outline of the paper, you can sorta see where the rectangular paper pressed but im sure if i re-press it the wrinkles will go away.

...i used a sample white scrap t-shirt and im not being too delicate with the testy-testy. :) ...... can you imagine if the feel/look of it got better with every wash ?

... it feels great btw. Good job Ken.

·
Registered
18 Posts

So there is no hand at all? I am still a little fuzzy on whether the dye is absorbed into the fabric or sits on top.

How is the washing? The site says that film/polymer will go away after the first wash,
"No unsightly cloudy transfer film nor polymer to scissor cut away, wash away." Can't wait to see it out of the dryer:p Maybe you could put a flashlight in between the shirt layers and take a pic or even just separate the shirt's front and back a few inches.

Could this be the alternative to water-based screenprinting and curing.. and without the cleanup? Fingers crossed :rolleyes:

·
Registered
205 Posts

OK people, I am very confused here. Just received a email from bestimagesolutions.com
The dura cotton paper was discontinued in Jan. 2005.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Hi T-Bot,

I have been testing this paper for the last few months, and also had the opportunity to test the latest DuraCotton98 samples that Ken fowarded to me.

With some tweaking of heat settings and pressure & dwell times, you can get some excellent results....The polymer outline should hardly if any be visible.

I have been using this product with my sublimation set up and a high release paper with no problems - im getting very nice results....

The ' hand ' is soft even better after a cuples of washes.

Cheers,

Nick

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

hi Nick,
nice so far, I've been printing them off my new off the shelf printer and ALSO printed them off a XEROX copy machine. So far they look good. No paper jams.

I will be printing the transfers on cotton fabric soon. (kinda busy with some big plastisol jobs right now).

....like i said, i know verry little about digital transfers so im doing this from a Newbie stand, thats for sure. :eek:

my boss had a look at my little test samples and he tells me that its amazing how only the ink goes on the shirt, no trimming. Well, he did look at it with a magnify glass and did see something there but i can't tell.

Remember, my boss was making CLC transfers before it became a big buisness...in the early 90's, i was only a baby...lol.

Here are some transfer ART/experiments he was involved with that sell for $ 40,000 each. :::: http://www.neonravenartgallery.com/carl/carl.html

will post as i do more print testing, washing etc. :)

1 - 20 of 675 Posts