T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Texas:

I am very new to the business. I am not a professional artist or an experienced t-shirt maker. I will greatly appreciate every bit of advice that ya’ll can give me.

With that said, I have recently launched a t-shirt website (www.imaginaryfarms.com). I am a singer-songwriter by trade, but kept coming up with t-shirt ideas that people liked. For about a year, www.christianshirts.net was selling 2 of my designs before I decided to start my own website and sell my work myself.

PROBLEM: Because I am just starting out, I can NOT afford to purchase 12-24 (the avg. minimum) screen printed shirts every time a customer wants a certain design. While I have found a local company that has very good prices ($6-7 for a 3 color shirt), I still can’t afford to purchase the minimums for each design. I need to order one shirt @ a time as the orders come in. I have found several companies on the internet (within the USA) that will make just one, but as you already know, the setups are pretty high.

SOLUTION: Heat Pressed shirts, Transfers, or ______?!?

QUESTION(s): 1) How much less expensive (avg.) are the Heat Pressed shirts and are “today’s” heat pressed designs good enough to hold up if the consumer properly cares for the apparel. I know they are not as good as screen prints, but would this be a better option for me? What are the disadvantages? (no dark-colored garments?)

2) Also, would I be better off purchasing a heat press unit and doing it myself? If so, what would be a good brand/size and are there any reputable places to buy used ones? Should I find a unit applicable to my situation, how much should I expect to spend? (I don’t want to be taken advantage of)

3) What other options do I have? What are these “T-jet” machines? (they seem pretty expensive and the forums had a lot of neg. feedback)

4) Any other questions I may have missed here, please fill in the blanks ”__________ “?

I am not looking to get rich quick with my designs, but I know I can make some money with them. There are too many people telling me they like my ideas and want to wear them. I was not a business major in school, but I have enough sense to know that purchasing $100 worth of shirts and only selling one of that design means I am not making any money. Eventually, I will be able to afford (I hope) to purchase in bulk when business picks up, but right now I’m sure you can understand my situation. Incidentally, besides the internet, I am willing to work hard to sell my shirts elsewhere. Any suggestions on the best ways to do this? (trade shows, street cornersJ, etc?) Again, I GREATLY APPRECIATE any help I can get from the “experts” out there. There is so much info out there, the more I read the more I get confused. This is all new to me and I feel really fortunate to have been able to find this great site. Thanx again!

Russell
Imaginary Farms

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Russel,
I guess I broke the law when I posted. My apologies to all. There are companies available that you can have do contract printing for you so there is not the risk of buying the equipment before you have enough business to warrant the outlay.
Oscar
The Garment Guru

1 - 2 of 2 Posts