T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom and I are in the works of starting this company up, but we are at a point where we need to make some major decisions, and I was hoping you could help with the best way to go.

First off, to market these t-shirts, I know that e-commerce is an insane and profitable way to start a small business out. What is the best way to market online, and for a start up company, through who? I know of e-bay stores, and yahoo stores, which they also will even help you build a site.. Is that something to turn to, or are there better options?

Also, should we screen print them ourselves, or should we go ahead and have a professional do it, where that may cost us a substansial about of money.

Prices - what seem to be the golden price for a retail t-shirt online?

The main market we are going to be shooting towards is women, no paticular age range.

Any answers you may have are appreciated.

·
Registered
382 Posts
With online marketing you have a lot of choices, online ads, myspace, search engine listings, it goes on and on.

Doing it yourself and having someone else do it have different benefits. If you do it yourself it costs more money upfront but in the long run it would be cheaper than paying a printer all the time. If you pay someone else then you know you will get good quality prints and don't have to invest a lot of money up front.

Good retail prices are around $15-$20 for mainstream audiences.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I like total control of my business, when someone else does it I have to charge more for product. When I do my tees (heat transfer) I know how much I can make for every job. I do mostly wholesale. Volume sales and reorders work for me. Upfront cost can be controled if you know the kind of product your going to do. Also knowledge of how to do product. I don't have a clue as to screenprint but I turn a mean heat transfer..

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I will tell you anything you want to know.. Just ask away. I have no secrets.. you don't know my wife do you? Ok, just kidding.. How do I do my transfers?
I design them based on clients needs. or I do a lot of research and try to find ideas for deigns (see my web) I just print them and then I make my shirts or bags and go out and knock on doors. I try to get listings of gift stores and souvenir stores and find out when events might happen so I can get event sales for my tees. I love being out and about. keeps me from being under my wifes feet as we are both retired.. kinda..

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I use an epson printer that has pigment ink. I use a cx7800 all in one. That means it copies, scans prints and I can do slides and negatives. However there are just printer like the c88 which sells for about 80 buck. That is your best bet. I use "iron all" paper for lights and opaque paper for darks. I also use there regular brand of light paper for items the will not require washing like my tote bags and hats. Because I do not have a hat press I actually do designs on Hat brims.. Write me and I will send a picture of my hats.

·
Registered
59 Posts
hello badalou

thanks for all the post and great info. I am a newbie and I am still trying to figure out which porcess to use. what do you think and what do you know?

also, if to start and to cut cost, I use a local shop (chicago, missssssssssssssssing california big time) how do i put my idea from paper to digital form?

thnaks for the help

tom

·
Registered
399 Posts
Also, when it comes to mainstream marketing, how do you suggest advertising?
This is far to complex to be answered with the information given. This factor depends on:

Your target / market segment
trend analysis
current environment / market trends and fads (market standing if you will)
product analysis
financial allotment (money you have to spend)
connections / tools available

It is not a question that can be answered without a lot of in-depth research... or at least a lot of information up front. No matter what you are selling, always look back at history. What has or is working well for other companies? You can piggyback on a lot of what's already been done, and come up with your own new and creative ideas as time goes on. Once your brand grows by itself, marketing ideas will begin to appear.

·
Registered
59 Posts
right now everything is on paper. normal paper whit my hand.
i have nto started yet. I am looking, getting, info, learning. as i want to start a brand, i dont want to make mistake or costly shirt. i need to find best way to produce large volume, although right now i only need samples to see i f i can sell.

once i have something on paper, how do you put it into digital format

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi...

i was looking to start with "heat transfers" as well, but got turned off by the idea because I read that the quality is not as great.

what measures can be taken to obtain a nice result...something that will last through washes? transferring to dark fabrics?

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
what measures can be taken to obtain a nice result...something that will last through washes? transferring to dark fabrics?
Choosing a quality heat transfer process, like plastisol (screen printed) heat transfers will give you quality results on dark fabrics.

Plastisol transfers are outsourced to a screen printer who prints the ink on a release (transfer) paper that you then apply to a t-shirt with a heat press.

Also, vinyl transfers (cut with a vinyl cutter) are a good way to do designs on dark shirts with a heat press.
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/t-shirt-crossover-diary-heat-press-newbie/t10363.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
i'm liking this thread, i've been lookin into startin up a small buisness for a couple months now and just came across this board, I wanna do heat transfers but not really sure what press to purchase, i've been lookin on ebay I keep seeing stahl's lite press or mighty press, what does everyone use? any input would be great.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dievart, What I do is take a digital photo of the drawing. Then I upload onto my computer. Open it in illustrator. open it as a template layer. trace it on a new layer then delete the template. wahla

·
Registered
3,187 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
hmmm, I don't know anything about this buisness, I mean if I was to look at that machine and a mighty press, I would say they are the same, but I know i'm far from right, I just don't wanna make the mistake of buying garbage, from press to printer, to quality ink and transfers, this site has helped me alot though I know that much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts