T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Donna and I am trying to start a T-shirt business, but have limited funds. I have an inkjet printer and would like to buy a press that would match the type of printer I am using. I have an HP printer. Some of the printers that I found on Ebay talk about dye sublimation. Can I use this press? Do I need special ink for my printer and can I buy it for this printer.

I am a farmer with many animals to feed and care for, so I need to make this work. I have seen the 4 in 1 combo presses that I can do many things on and it cost about $400 or so. Is that something I might need to consider?

Thanks,
Donna

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I will start by saying welcome to the forums and you have a lot of reading to do.I will try to help you a little. I would stay away from the cheap EBay equipment. The price is attractive ,but the quality is not. I advise you to invest in a name brand press like a HIX,Hotronix,Mighty press,Phoenix phire, and Geo knight. I advise you to buy a Epson c120 printer(on sale at the epson store on line for $39) this will allow you to have a great printer and the correct ink for ink jet transfers( your hp doesn't have the correct ink). I advise you get Jet pro soft stretch ( JPSS ) transfer paper. This is the best paper for light garments and the Jet wear dark is best for dark garments. You can purchase these paper types at www.heatpressessntials.com and also look at the alignment tools sold there( they can safe you time and money by helping not make crooked shirts) . You mentioned Dye sub that is a whole other process that is much more costly. You will need certain items that are either polyester or ply coated to use the dye sub process. My advise is to start with the regular ink jet and branch out as your budget allow. I will add that buying a used name brand press will save you some money and will serve you well in most cases. Good luck .... JB

·
Registered
205 Posts
And while you're at it buy 2 additional C120s cause at 39 dollars it's half the price of replacement cartridges and you have 2 printers you can sell on ebay to recoup your printer costs and 2 sets of spare cartridges!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'll just add that I personally would not get a combo press.

While it seems like an attractive option, the big downside is that you have to wait for it to cool, take off one attachment, and add the other.

I would start with a flat press, and then add a cap press when your budget allows.

You'll find yourself using your cap press for more than caps. And having 2 presses will allow you to have 2 people working on one job...even one t-shirt job when you have a large graphic on the back, and a small "over heart" graphic on the front.

You can start with a smaller press, and if you get to the point where your business demands it, add a larger press. You then have a back-up or second press.

I have a Geo Knight 12"X14" press. Of course, it would be nice to have a bigger press, but this has served me well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good to know that you are starting a T-shirt Business, keep in mind that like JB says "stay away from the cheap stuff", you want to show professional results so you have to work with professional equipment.

Look over good and reliable companies like Stahls.com, Imprintables Warehouse or simply google your search for the best presses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts