T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a creative artist and graphic designer who is technically the middle man. I make the design and I pay a screen printer to print my shirts and I buy the shirts. After all that I mark up the product and sell it to my clients. I HATE BEING THE MIDDLE MAN.

Here are the prices I pay:
For colored Gildan tees I pay $2.60 - $3.27
screen printing set up fee: 25 per screen
1 color= .90 per shirt
2 color= 1.10
3 color= 1.30
6 color= 1.90

Do these prices seem decent to anyone? I feel like I may be losing in my production. Does anyone know of a better site to purchase shirts from (Im satisfied with the company I use today they give me case pricing) but does anyone think the screen printing is too much?

I heard of a printing system that prints DIRECTLY onto the shirt. Does anyone have any information about that or where I can purchase one?

I own a heat press and I would like to do the foil designs on denim....BUT I dont know how to do the foil process can anyone educate me on that as well?

I know Im asking for a lot of info but whatever you can enlighten me on I definitely appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Welcome,
I am new also I do own a DTG and a screen printer, I also just posted about where I can get better prices for the shirts, the screen printing prices do not seem bad to me but I just had a friend buy some shirts from a place here locally, (NOT me), because she could get the screen printed shirt for $3.00, with no setup fee. I just do not see how they are doing it, because I do screen print and the shirts cost quite a bit with shipping so I don't know how they can do it that cheap. If you have any ideas on where to get shirts CHEAP let me know., but as far as the prices for screen printing it seems reasonable, because it does take a lot of time when you have to prepare, expose, dry and wash out the screen for use.

Just my .02
Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
jstreete said:
Here are the prices I pay:
For colored Gildan tees I pay $2.60 - $3.27
screen printing set up fee: 25 per screen
1 color= .90 per shirt
2 color= 1.10
3 color= 1.30
6 color= 1.90

Do these prices seem decent to anyone? I feel like I may be losing in my production. Does anyone know of a better site to purchase shirts from (Im satisfied with the company I use today they give me case pricing) but does anyone think the screen printing is too much?
Depends entirely on the quantity... The printing prices look more like contract printing prices for runs of 500 or more shirts at a time.... So if you are getting them on smaller runs then you are doing very very well.... On smaller runs 1.50 would be more normal and .25 to .50 for each additional color.... depending on the size of the print.... at least thats what it would be around this part of the country...

·
2,957 Posts
I do the same thing Julian. And my prices are about the same as yours, for the shirts and the printing.

I don't get charged screen fees, though.

I'm able to make quite a bit of profit this way.

I think the real question is what are you charging your customers?

Where are you getting your shirts from? You might be able to do a little better on the shirts. I get most of my shirts from a local place with case pricing, so I don't have to pay shipping, either. I just call in my order, and go pick it up.

So like I said, it depends on what you are charging your customers.

I like to keep my prices around $10/shirt. Most of the general public has no idea what wholesale shirts prices are, or printing prices. So $10 seems like a good price for a shirt made the exact way you want it.

So no matter what, I try to say "I can get you those shirts for $10!"

Think about it. If you charged $10/shirt, even at your highest price for shirts ($3.27) and printing ($1.60) you are still clearing about $5/shirt. That's pretty good! Especially when you didn't do much work!

That's the way I look at it. I'll take that all day long. Since I started doing this a couple of months ago, I have gotten about 15 orders, all word-of-mouth, and no order less than 50 shirts!

It has turn into quite the little side business.

If you are looking for a better site, you can check out www.ssactivewear.com

I think they have case pricing, and normally run some pretty good sales. I haven't ordered from them in a couple of months, though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Greg. $10 is exactly what I have been charging and I have been running small orders...200 and less. For this one group Ive charged $20 I am just trying to get the orders more steady and thanks to you guys I know I am not getting done over on the deals from what it seems BUT I still want to find away to keep more profit. I am thinking about investing in one of those DTG machines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts