T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am excited to be part of this community. It has already given me a wealth of information. I had an interesting concept for a designer label. After six years of talking to anyone who would listen, I finially got an artist who has captured the essence of the concept and he has created interesting an logo & designs that I'm crazy about. I wanted to start with putting the logo & designs on t-shirts. I will contine to look at all the posts to educate myself. Any advice on how to get started (i.e. should I start with copyright on logo?? )

thanks

Jerry.

·
Registered
117 Posts
salvation1 said:
I am excited to be part of this community. It has already given me a wealth of information. I had an interesting concept for a designer label. After six years of talking to anyone who would listen, I finially got an artist who has captured the essence of the concept and he has created interesting an logo & designs that I'm crazy about. I wanted to start with putting the logo & designs on t-shirts. I will contine to look at all the posts to educate myself. Any advice on how to get started (i.e. should I start with copyright on logo?? )

thanks

Jerry.
welcome to the forums...

not copyright.. get just place a Trademark somewhere on the logo.. and you can file with the US trade and patent office.. but its only filling it takes forever to find out if they actually approve it, after they approve it you can put the (R) sign.. lol all i learn was from this forum.. so keep on reading.. there is a ton of information to be had...
cheers and best luck with your project!

-d

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
By the time a TM decision comes through, there's a good chance you'll not longer be in the tshirt business....

·
Registered
117 Posts
monkeylantern said:
By the time a TM decision comes through, there's a good chance you'll not longer be in the tshirt business....
thats true because i'll be doing denim, blazers, board shorts and gear like snowboards, skateboards, longboards, ski, helmets, uhh what else... maybe even some gold plated sex toys.. *just kidding*

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the feedback. Its deeply appreciated. If I'm in the process of applying for a trademark, can I proceed with putting the logo/designs on t-shirts and stuff and getting the product out there? Or does this expose me to more problems? I have a shop in the Chicago area interested in carrying the line but I want to do it right. Should I be patient and wait for a TM decision?? Or......

Jerry.

·
Registered
117 Posts
salvation1 said:
Thank you for all the feedback. Its deeply appreciated. If I'm in the process of applying for a trademark, can I proceed with putting the logo/designs on t-shirts and stuff and getting the product out there? Or does this expose me to more problems? I have a shop in the Chicago area interested in carrying the line but I want to do it right. Should I be patient and wait for a TM decision?? Or......

Jerry.
Okay.. you dont have to put a TM next every single design you do... but if you come up with a name go ahead and put a TM next to it. go ahead and put the logo and designs on the t-shirts and start selling.. put a TM on the Logo for sure... and just apply... u might want to check out USTPO.gov or USPTO.gov to check is someone has the name.. I think the link is on the left side.. of this forum..

cheers

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi

I am in the process of registering a trademark. The searches have been done so I am just waiting for the period of publication. I am crossing my fingers and currently putting TM on my logo which hopefully I can change to ® soon.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
lawaughn said:
What is all of this trademark talk all of a sudden?
Seems to come in cycles.

I remember when I first started out, I thought that's one of the things you had to have before you could start selling. Since I didn't have the money for it at the time, I just forgot about it and started selling :)

It was a good thing that I did get out there and just "start selling". When I finally applied for a trademark, they asked for proof that the brand was in use for a long period of time and established.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Rodney said:
When I finally applied for a trademark, they asked for proof that the brand was in use for a long period of time and established.
To different ways to file. Having a “first use in commerce” is different than trying to file a TM which has never been used in commerce. And YES… you do have better odds w/ an established use in commerce, but it doesn’t really matter if it’s been a week or three years. You just need that proof of use.

ML is correct! “By the time a TM decision comes through, there's a good chance you'll not longer be in the tee shirt business....” Best to wait until profits from your business can cover the expense of filing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts