T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am thinking about buying some equipment to print shirts for my kids sports teams. My husband coaches and we are always ordering shirts for the parents, so I thought I would just do it myself. I need to know how to get started. What equipment will I need? Where do I get the designs for the t-shirts? How do I get them personalized? Do I have to have a cutter? Are there different kinds of viynl? What is the difference between screen print and heat press? Somebody please help! I just don't want to get into something that is more expensive or difficult than I expected.
Thanks
Debbie

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
You will need some sort of software (I know they have some free stuff I have seen mentioned here but I am not familiar with it) I have corel
If doing vinyl you will need a vinyl cutter of course and a heat press. Screen printing you will need screens, inks, emulsion or cap film, chemicals to clean and reclaim screens as well as a flash to cure the ink.

Hope that helps somewhat
You can also search the forum and find a lot of info

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
There's quite a bit of expense in trying to start up operations:

(1) Software: take a look at these: www.freeserifsoftware.com (buy the commercial version it's only $10 or so) it'll be perfect for what you need

(2) What kind of t-shirts are you going to make, i.e. whites, colors, etc? When you answer this, then look at the equipment you need to purchase. For example, if you're doing the sports team shirts, some teams have a white in the middle where you'd place the team logo/letters. You can use Chromablast for cotton or cotton-blended materials, or you could use heat press vinyl transfers. Both of these would require a heat press. (If you're looking at just starting out, I'd say a heat press and vinyl transfers or something akin to those would be the most cost effective, no sense in dumping a lot of money into something if it doesn't work out)

(3) Cutter - I prefer Roland but you'll hear a lot of people's advice on which cutter to purchase. I'd read through everyone's experience and then research the equipment from the company's website, that way you can make an informed decision.

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts