T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone.

I am new to Clothing and T-shirts specifically. I am in the process of building a clothing brand for a very specific niche. Currently just learning as much as I can and narrowing in on specifics. Constantly mapping out my business plan and making some bigger decisions on the foundations of the brand.

It is so cool to learn about all of the intricacies of the industry. From fabric content to weight to stitching etc.

Currently the plan is to start with Private Label and then move into cut and sew. Cut and sew is a little to big a bite for me starting off.

I've already secured domain, hosting etc. Starting a marketing push mostly on instagram.

LLC formation is in the works. Trademark is in process. Shooting for a Q1 2019 Launch.

Cheers!

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello im New here starting my own clothing line aswell right now im diy dtg with an nx215 i have a silk screen old fashion 4 color 1 station press but the world is moving faster and hidh demand maybe we all can help each other just looking for others just like me getting started and need guidance

· Registered
4,488 Posts
Hint: Trademark is automatic, similarly to copyright.
Registering your trademark is just an easier way for others to find you, and makes it a bit faster to sue somebody who's trying to use your brand. Not less expensive though.

Cut and sew is OK for $40+ shirts otherwise it is a waste of time in my opinion. If you buy the required equipment, you can sew T-shirts very fast.

Q1 2019 is a bit far into the future... why wait so long?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hint: Trademark is automatic, similarly to copyright.
Registering your trademark is just an easier way for others to find you, and makes it a bit faster to sue somebody who's trying to use your brand. Not less expensive though.

Cut and sew is OK for $40+ shirts otherwise it is a waste of time in my opinion. If you buy the required equipment, you can sew T-shirts very fast.

Q1 2019 is a bit far into the future... why wait so long?

Thanks for the input. I know you have common law protections once you use the mark in connection with commerce but with selling online I was thinking registering would provide better protections nationwide.

For Cut and Sew, anything below $40 retail is a waste of time? I will definitely keep that in mind. I know the costs are huge upfront because you have patterns, tech pack, etc etc. and then to do the run anyone stateside has fairly large MOQ.

I am shooting for the premium market so it may work out eventually.

The long runway is for me personally. Right now my work + commute is 80ish hours a week at my main gig and have wife and kids. It will take me longer just because of all the other demands on my time. But slow and steady, piece by piece is better than not at all.

Once I get my biz license I will set up wholesale accounts and start sampling. I have a good idea of my first and second offerings that will be staples.

Thanks for the feedback!

· Registered
4,488 Posts
Yeah, for the time it takes to Cut and Sew something, you can definitely print 4 shirts with the slowest method possible and sell them at $10 each. That's how I think about it.

Private label can work well, if you targeting a unique or low competition niche. It is good to combine it with something else. I do this as well.

A t-shirt for $40 is not premium. Premium is like $80-$100 :) and then you have the high end designer stuff for $300 or more.

I never worked 80 hours a week and never will.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.