T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am almost done and ready to open up my store on May 1st. I want to have a 10X sized black t-shirt display but with my stores name silk screened on it. I have a couple of questions about this.

1. Should I silk or heat transfer?
2. Will they allow me to just silk 1 shirt?
3. Where can I find a silk screener locally?(Los Angeles)
4. How much should I expect to pay?
5. Do I just need an picture of what I want printed or do I need the image in digital form?(the design is already made in illustrator)

If there is anything else I need to know about shirt printing please let me know.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
1. Should I silk or heat transfer?
For 1 t-shirts, a heat transfer would probably be best.

2. Will they allow me to just silk 1 shirt?
Most places won't screen print 1 t-shirt. Heat press is fine for one off printing though.

3. Where can I find a silk screener locally?(Los Angeles)
Same way you find any local business :) Yellow pages, Google Local searches, Yahoo searches. You could also check out the boards at screenprinters.net to see if there are some in your area.

4. How much should I expect to pay?
Don't know this one :)

5. Do I just need an picture of what I want printed or do I need the image in digital form?(the design is already made in illustrator)
It would probably be best to have the image in digital form. Illustrator should work well for most companies.

·
Registered
949 Posts
You can also use Direct to Garment printing for creating only one shirt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you explain the process of direct to garment printing? Is it doable with minimal equipment?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Direct to Garment printing, also known as DTG printing is done with a special printer that can print your image directly onto the t-shirt. There are no screens or transfers involved.

Can it be done with minimal equipment?
Well, yes all you need is the printer and the computer and software to run it.

However if what you mean by minimal is "cheap", than the answer is no.
These printers cost around $14,000 and up.

What you would want to do is find someone that has a DTG printer and give them the job of printing your shirt for you.

Here is a link to see an example of one of the many DTG printers that are starting to hit the market. This is my favorite brand and model so far.

dtgprinting.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you show me some examples of the quality of DTG printing? What type of printing lasts the longest and looks the best? How do DTG prints handle washes? Currently I know there are heat transfers and also silk screens.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Sorry FIG51,

I lost this thread for a while. I wish I could answer some more questions for you about DTG, but I'm just learning about it myself.

I did come across this good article from Impressions Magazine about DTG printing. It would be a good read for anyone interested in this type of printing.

Here is the link.... to navigate the page , you click the Forward button in the upper left of the page when you get there.

http://www.impressionsmag.com/impressions/images/pdf/HighVolume0406.pdf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts