T-Shirt Forums banner

21 - 40 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
That's excellent -- can you estimate how big that print area is, and what approximate image pixel count is in that area as well?

Hate to ask so many questions, but the Epson is on my list for this year.

For those unaware, I actually co-wrote my own "RIP" for an Epson a decade ago using ESC/P 2 (raster printer language) and have been really hungry to consider a go at it again. The RIP I co-wrote was an early all-black method for printing transparencies. ESC/P 2 is a very "open" language, and from what I've seen, Epson is STILL using it as their foundation platform for modern printers.

If there's one thing I want, it's a RIP that makes sense. I continue to dream and consider a new platform -- if Epson doesn't do it, I am certain that there are enough people in the DTG market to crowdsource a competitive and open solution.

So that's why I ask these questions, ha.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
It was almost the full platen size in height. It was close to 14"x20" at 150dpi. Epson likes to use 360dpi when printing at full size, but it's difficult to find those kinds of sizes when pulling something as a test sample.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Yeah, I always try to fix my original image resolution at that magic 360dpi or multiples/divisibles of it. Epson has had that "limitation" forever. I believe our target was always 180dpi if possible.

I'm sure you're already familiar with this, but for those who aren't, try this:

1. Go to Google Image Search ( Google Images ) and type in watch (or whatevr).

2. Click the "Search Tools" drop down, and under the "Size" drop down select 4 MP. Also click the "Usage Rights" drop down and select "labeled for commercial reuse with modification". Note: many items are improperly tagged for commercial reuse, but it's a start.

3. Look for your image.

We regularly find huge images that are actually acceptable for commerical reuse. If I want to use it as a demo, I'll email the original artist just to confirm, but so far I've only found one image that the artist mislabeled.

14" x 20" x 360 dpi = 5040 x 7200 = 36 MP. Google Image Search actually has a 40 MP size selection!

·
Registered
236 Posts
hi peter, NeoFather

nice burger prints ! (from your photobucket)

maybe anyone can share me that pic? or where do i get one?

i want to see how it will result on my DTG, if u dont mind ofc :)

thx

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
nice burger prints ! (from your photobucket)

maybe anyone can share me that pic? or where do i get one?
The most recent burger photo on the t-shirt is a photo I took. It's not available for download :)

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
The most recent burger photo on the t-shirt is a photo I took. It's not available for download :)
Rodney has Jumbo monster camera. AA print shirts at Long Beach show for him. We cannot share his image with anyone but himself. Excellent photographer.
You can look but cannot download print available file. Photobucket.com ID mp19134
Looks good Yammmmm.
Cheers! Beers and Burgers and chips are on me always.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Reality is, ANY rip that has the ability to produce a controlled gradient white layer will use less white ink.
Cadlink and Iproof has had this feature for years that yield the exact same result.
Garment Creator can also be adjusted to smooth out the white layer heavy spots lowering the total white ink used per image.
It comes down to simple settings with the particular RIP used.

·
Registered
602 Posts
For tests I just put HD before anything I am searching for and of course Large size.

And then just change the 72 dpi to 300 in Photoshop.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
For tests I just put HD before anything I am searching for and of course Large size.

And then just change the 72 dpi to 300 in Photoshop.
Changing a photo or piece of art from 72 to 300dpi in Photoshop won't make it any better. In most cases it will get worse. The key is the resolution and the dimensions. Getting a piece of art that was created at a high resolution (personally for me minimum of 2k) and a photo taken with a camera with high mega pixels will really show the capabilities of your printer and rip. :)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Also downloading anything off of google needs to be inspected with the naked eye even if searching for large size files. A lot of the times you will find high resolution pics/art and it still looks pixelated because whoever posted it just took a smaller sized file and increased it in size making it look worse. I come across it a lot when looking for stuff to print samples with.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Actually on the newer photoshop I noticed that bicubic automatic upsampling does wonders.
I'm still stuck on CS4 but it does have those options like bicubic smoother or shaper but to me it only does an ok job. Haven't tried it on the lastest PS version. Even Cadlinks software has a super size image function that does a good job. This will definitely work for jobs where maybe a customer brings you an old photograph of a relative and they want it printed bigger on a shirt. Simply just adding more pixels in PS doesn't technically make it high def. Its like playing a VHS tape on an HD tv.:)

My point really was that its just best to get a pic/art at a high resolution that has no history of down sampling.:)

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Thread goes Little off the topic which is very normal in TSF but one of differences between two is like this picture.
Just white layer.
Cheers! Inks are on me always.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
There are no option in GC for underbase opacity/contrast adjustement?
There are more controls in GC available to enable you to do that, but looking at the images, I can say this is not the newest version of GC. I'm not sure if it's on the market yet, but the newest build will create the white layers like the RIP. It places more contrast and doesn't print black ink, so it integrates the image into the shirt much like a RIP will.

I'd print samples to show, but I'll have to wait. EPSON has our demo printer and is upgrading it.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Newest version 5% default. EPSON's recommendation. :)
We down load same day Epson upgraded. Cannot afford to be the last.
Also this set up is Garment Creator's best result after CYMK applied.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Newest version 5% default. EPSON's recommendation. :)
We down load same day Epson upgraded. Cannot afford to be the last.
Also this set up is Garment Creator's best result after CYMK applied.
What version is it? I'm pretty sure not the newest looking at the white layer.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Jerid,
I will address simple and straight.:)
If Garment Creator is as good as 3rd party RIP. Why you selling Cadlink?
Do not make sense again.
I believe Tigers(AA tech team name). They will die before they become second.
Cheers! RIPs are on me always.

21 - 40 of 122 Posts