T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at the ISS show in Atlantic City, while at the Neo booth. A gentleman came by and had them print up a sample once it was printed they than showed a sample they just had printed from Anajet. They asked anajet to knock out the black so they did, and here is the two samples. you can make your own judgment. One thing i will say is it looks as if they lost some of their RED head because usually a little brighter than that, but at a show you should ever lose one of your heads, that looks bad for company. But maybe they didnt and this is what happens when they knock black out. I'll let the pictures speak the rest of the words.

· Registered
450 Posts
Boom ... Neoflex wins again.

In head to head comparisons like this, the NeoRIP Pro makes all the difference.

If I had to guess, the dark & muted colors in the Anajet example are probably due to an insufficient white underbase.

Back to work ... time to go put out some fires.

· Premium Member
4,310 Posts
If I had to guess, the dark & muted colors in the Anajet example are probably due to an insufficient white underbase.
This is probably part of it due to Anajet prints much faster, they won't be able to lay down as heavy of a white underbase without pausing between white and color. The other part is, if you look at the Anajet print, you can clearly see banding throughout the design. It's probably a combination of both.

· Registered
4,624 Posts
Was the same artwork file used on both of them? I ask because there are some differences in the artwork that I believe is more than just the different printing software. For example, there is a stroke around the fire engine in one example and not in the other one.

Nice looking design.

Mark

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The same artwork from the same file was used. The neorip is just that much better many times you don't need to even go in photoshop to adjust, but it doesn't hurt either. But yes same artwork for both.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah both had a white underbase. but the neorip understad how to print white better. when you watch it, it doesnt lay down a flat layer of white but a white in a gradient style, so for example when it prints the red, underneath it will lay down more white than in areas where it has to print brown or maroon, it lays downs less of a white. This allows it to have a better hand feel, look better, and save on ink cost.

· Registered
4,624 Posts
The same artwork from the same file was used. The neorip is just that much better many times you don't need to even go in photoshop to adjust, but it doesn't hurt either. But yes same artwork for both.
Interesting. Usually, one can see minor differences in how the different printing software programs (RIPs, drivers,...) handle the white underbase and color, but most of them should handle a white stroke like the one that goes around the fire engine. I also noticed that the Anajet RIP did not print the white in the rims on the tires. That was the reason why I asked the question about the same piece of artwork.

Wondering if the Anajet operator did not make the correct setting in the RIP / driver or if it always processes the information this way. I have never seen their driver and what options they have. Might try to stop by their booth at the ISA Show this week to see.

Best wishes,

Mark

· Registered
2,622 Posts
i have both an AnaJet FP-125 (the original) which uses the EK RIP, and the NeoFlex with the NeoRIP Pro. my AnaJet prints were ALWAYS much darker than the input, and I was continuously tweaking the art prior to print. printing a color gamut helped greatly. the NeoFlex, however, just KILLS it when it comes to the rip interpreting the file. i rarely have to tweak files (which is nice since i'm usually just guessing at what to do anyway), and the photo realism is great. as you can see, the NeoFlex handles the dark areas of the art beautifully whereas the AnaJet struggles to get any pop in the dark areas.

what i noticed first were the awnings. notice the green awning and the bright yellow and red stripes in the NeoFlex print as compared with the lack of green and the dull colors in the AnaJet. these things can be tweaked and fixed, but the true testament is how well the NeoRip Pro handles files without tweaking. why? because the TIGERS at All American have already provided several different profiles that are installed for us in the rip. they've already tested them, and now we can print with confidence. that is something i asked AnaJet for 3 years ago and was basically told there was nothing they could do. my AnaJet prints nice shirts; they lost me with their lack of customer service. my NeoFlex prints GREAT shirts, and they won me with their customer service. both use DuPont ink, both use and Epson engine, but the RIP plus excellent customer service is what sets them apart.

· Registered
364 Posts
Interesting. Usually, one can see minor differences in how the different printing software programs (RIPs, drivers,...) handle the white underbase and color, but most of them should handle a white stroke like the one that goes around the fire engine. I also noticed that the Anajet RIP did not print the white in the rims on the tires. That was the reason why I asked the question about the same piece of artwork.

Wondering if the Anajet operator did not make the correct setting in the RIP / driver or if it always processes the information this way. I have never seen their driver and what options they have. Might try to stop by their booth at the ISA Show this week to see.

Best wishes,

Mark
I understand what you are getting at Mark. What we are trying to bring to the table is not whether or not the correct settings were used. We want it to be easy and almost fool proof.

We know a customer will not understand "sorry we used the wrong settings". This is why we have spent so much time invested in the NeoRIP Pro.

At these shows we do not have a second chance and that is what wins people over. The ability to do a true one off without fuss. This is actually what wins previous DTG owners over. Mark you have been in the industry much longer than I even knew it existed, so I know, that I don't know 1/10 the things you may know. What i do know is, we are changing it slowly for the better, this is one of the steps.

· Registered
4,624 Posts
John,

Maybe my post was not that clear as it should be. I understand that things need to be easy as possible (I have done software support since 2006) and first impressions are important. I guess I am just shocked that the Anajet RIP / driver missed the entire solid white stroke around the fire engine. Picking up the white in a design is usually pretty easy for the software companies (iProof, CADLink, Eukon Digital, Kornit, Kothari,...) based on my experience working with them. That is what is surprising to me. It is my own curiosity about their RIP that made me wonder about the settings. That is all.

Mark

P.S. Peter has been in this industry 3 times as long me. He is the old timer... not me. :D

· Registered
364 Posts
I did notice that as well. The weird thing is the image provided was presented to us potential client at the show.

I also noticed it was not just in the white stroke at the bottom. It is also on the side of the fire truck as well and in the windows and where all the meters are.

There seems to be a pattern to it as well. For some odd reason it is only happening in areas where the white is surrounded by black or nothing. If you notice all areas where it is side by side with a color that the white is there.

Could this be a Choke they added or is it too severe to the point that a choke is out of the question. I also saw something very similar in a print that had white dots around the image. when we printed the image we found that there were significantly more white dots (supposed to represent stars).

So I know it is not just with this particular image and the strange part was it was not printed by them at a show. It was printed by a customer who tried many times and could not figure it out. So the brought it to the show to get some answers. I printed them the shirt because they asked me to and that is when the pulled the other shirt out to compare. I asked them did they print two different image and they told me that it was the same exact image. I then asked so where are the rest of the dots? They responded "Still in the anajet mpXX". It was actually a pretty funny and witty response we had a good chuckle.

Now back to the original point i'm unable to decipher why and what could cause such a thing.

P.S. LOL I don't think he will like that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.