T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so nothings changed since I last printed shirts - I mean I've made no changes at all.

Tonight, I print a shirt and after the white layer is printed the printer trots off th the far end of the bed and sits there waiting! I then press the Standby button to bring the printer home and it sits in the home position with the printer display showing PRESS PAUSES (or similar). I press PAUSE and the printer starts the colour layer but about 1/4" out.

All the settings on the base are as they should be and AUTO REPEAT IS ON.

I'm just about to alter the alignment making the adjust less negative to bring the white nearer to me. My setting was -1.175 but in order to bring the white nearer the standby position I'm already at -0.400 and still more to go! Quite a change!

What caused this? Any solutions/ides?

Cheers

John

· Registered
2,622 Posts
random inkjet/technology hiccup? i've found that when i'm doing a run of shirts and something really weird happens (it's rare, thankfully) that it's best to just turn the printer off. then just print the cmyk layer once it's ready to print again. this way, it's gotten rid of any "info junk" that would cause it to not align.

· Registered
335 Posts
I believe you have a printer delay and is timing out. Check the belt and that it's not slowing down the head and not impeding it in any way. Also that the teeth in the belt when the head is parked, the teeth start and align basically with this little hole, believe it's the 2nd hole in the chassis.

· Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm wondering though, where do your teeth currently start when looking at the bottom of the belt? Is it underneath that little hole?
Yes. Looking from the front of the printer the teeth start below the small hole above - left hand side of the carriage.

Strangely I pressed and held down the pause button on the printer to abort a print that was in session. The printer displayed RESET and then READY. I switch the printer off and back on and printed a few alignments on the bed only to find that I had to return my feed adjust to the original -1.175 to get it bang on. So that problem is fixed BUT, still no joy with the printer going to the far end of the bed after the white layer, blah blah blah.

I did shoot a video and will post a link soon.

John

· Registered
335 Posts
Ok, good to hear. I have heard your situations n before with it staying at the back. There was a delay in printer time. The head was being slowed down because it was rubbing on the edge of the belt. Look for some type of impediment.

· Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, here's short'ish video to show what's happening.

Before I shot this video I sent the printer forward to the far end of the bed. I then switched the power off on the base and printer and slid the printhead from the capping station to the other side of the printer. I then switched back on.

YouTube

Interestingly the alignment file printed in the video had previously required me to alter the feed adjust to -0.250 to align the white with the CMYK. This time the alignment was about 1/4" out so I reset the offset to the original -1.175 and it printed perfectly! However, I still have the issue of the printer moving to the far end after the white layer etc .....

· Registered
468 Posts
Did you check that the print head move freely to the home position, otherwise you get a timeout and printer paused,
I use to have the belt that move the head out of place (a little) and the belt rub the frame when reaching home position,

· Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The rails on which the printhead slides are fully to the right (capping side) and there's no mis-shape.

Following the printer reset I did yesterday (pressing and holding the pause button) the alignment has returned to normal.

The carriage drive belt is in situ correctly and not jumping on the cog.

Thanks Peter, will give it a really good exam tomorrow. Hope you had a successful FESPA - first I've missed in 4 years :(

I'm off to work now - long day ahead but I'm free tomorrow (Sunday) and public holiday on Monday so I plan on getting this fixed :)

Cheers

John

· Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I guess the good thing about facing problems is that you learn how to overcome them and you progress towards becoming an expert :)

Always listen to the experts:

Stop Sensors are tight screwed? Fin also and is it clean?
Always, physical exam first before anything.
Let us know.
Cheers! Beers are on me always.
Did you check that the print head move freely to the home position, otherwise you get a timeout and printer paused,
I use to have the belt that move the head out of place (a little) and the belt rub the frame when reaching home position,
The answer to my issues is in the two post above!

I did notice the printhead carriage was 'labouring' to settle into the capping position. Of course you need a little experience to know this!

I've been a bit busy over the last two days so this morning I decided to take another look with an open mind, fresh resolve and the advice from the posts by Peter, JuanManuel and others.

The printhead carriage sensor had popped out of its location holder. The top clips had disengaged, this obstructed the printhead carriage from reaching the home position within the timeout!

This is the tab on the carriage that breaks the beam of the sensor when in the home (Cap) position.

So, the solution to my 5 days of the problem was so simple as is often the case.

The problem compounded too - because the printhead wasn't settling into the capping station, my 'cleanings' weren't working properly either as the seal between the cap and the printhead was compromised and allowing air in!

Thanks all and I hope this will help others. :D

· Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I seriously need to buy you a liter of ink or something as a thank you for posting photos. This is awesome.
What's a liter? :D

Yup, it's an amazing stadium with retractable roof and my day job get me working there whenever there's a major event or show going on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.