T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any good, reasonably priced suggestions for printers to use to print out my negatives?
I've been using a regular laser jet at work, on regular paper, and then rubbing baby oil on the paper to make it transparent

·
Registered
828 Posts
you can pick up an epson 1400 wide format printer for between $150-$200 these days.. the epson site has it for $200 right now with free shipping.

That would be a great printer that has a very low tag for a wide format, but still prints amazing film positives. You could save up and pick up a RIP software for it later to make even better films.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I picked up a brand new one for my shop on ebay for 150. I saw some for even less. Gotta look for the deals.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i'm thinking if I don't need a rip program for the Epson Stylus Photo 1400 Color Ink-jet printer, i should be okay. do you get decent blacks? did you have to get a specific ink, like blackMax or something? also, is there a brand of inkjet transparency paper you can recommend that isn't too expensive? A friend of mine uses some that is between 3 & 5 bucks per sheet for 11x17 & 13x19. that seems a little pricey to me.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Positives, not negatives

so i'm thinking if I don't need a rip program for the Epson Stylus Photo 1400 Color Ink-jet printer, i should be okay.

do you get decent blacks?

did you have to get a specific ink, like blackMax or something?

also, is there a brand of inkjet transparency paper you can recommend that isn't too expensive?

A friend of mine uses some that is between 3 & 5 bucks per sheet for 11x17 & 13x19. that seems a little pricey to me.
Start your study on this forum by searching for "Epson 1400".

Please re-read Greatzky's #2post.
"That would be a great printer that has a very low tag for a wide format, but still prints amazing film positives. You could save up and pick up a RIP software for it later to make even better films."

You don't want anything to do with "inkjet transparency paper". I don't know that there is such a thing. You want screen printing, ink jet film positives that have coatings that can absorb more Epson or BlackMax transparent ink needed to stop UV energy. Transparency film is designed so visible light transfers through the transparent inks, to land on a reflective wall screen.

·
Registered
828 Posts
so i'm thinking if I don't need a rip program for the Epson Stylus Photo 1400 Color Ink-jet printer, i should be okay. do you get decent blacks? did you have to get a specific ink, like blackMax or something? also, is there a brand of inkjet transparency paper you can recommend that isn't too expensive? A friend of mine uses some that is between 3 & 5 bucks per sheet for 11x17 & 13x19. that seems a little pricey to me.

The positives that are produced without RIP or any specific ink are pretty good. I haven't printed any halftone work yet so I can't speak for that.
I use a regular 500W halogen shop light for my exposure unit and don't have a problem with prints using standard epson claria ink(or generic versions). My refillable cartridge system uses a generic Claria type ink and it works fine.
I accidentally printed a letter green instead of black and it still washed out.

That being said having a stronger exposure unit might require a more opaque positive. I have been testing out something that someone on another thread had mentioned. I started to feed my film through the printer twice. The first 3 times I did it I got perfect registered prints that were super dark. The last 2 times I tried this the print didn't line up perfectly, but luckily the image was mostly big letters and it didn't effect the print much.

I have Black Max Ink for my printer, but I only bought a cartridge to replace my regular black. When you use just that ink you can still see through the film, but it has a red tint. My claria type ink has a yellow tint when looking through the positive. When I "double up" the print by either sending the film through again or printing 2 separate films and taping them I get a Red tint similar to the black Max ink.

As for Films to buy... I have tried the Waterproof R-Film from Ryonet and the Waterproof film from Victory Factory so far. I like both. Victory gives the ability to buy 25packs which is nice, but the Ryonet R-film is thicker and I think it holds more ink as well. I get darker prints the first time through with the R-film.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I use the r-film from ryonet and I print my"positives" with a r1900 epson and accurip...I dont have to double up the films or run them through twice..I get super dark films with one pass......I am going to order a pack of 25 13x19 films from victory here real soon....

Inked

1 - 8 of 8 Posts