T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my brand new mh365 US cutter is here and so is my new WinPCSIGN pro software!!! At this writing, I have just talked myself out of throwing my monitor out the window. I am frustrated beyond belief.

If someone were to write a WPS for dummies, I'd be the first in line to buy it. I know there is a lot of help and video's out there but I actually need step by step instructions in plain english. Step 1, click here, step 2, click there, step three, and so on. AND tell it to me slowly.

I don't even know what an eps file is. I don't know what a vector file is.

My saving grace is that my son took the software home with him and will learn it tonight. He's going to come back and teach it to me.

What will I be doing in the mean time? I will be hand placing stones on 10 large horse designs, 10 school logo's and 10 names. UGH!

I know I am going to love and recommend this software someday. But not today.

· Registered
203 Posts
Hang in there Terry. Don't give up. We've all been here before. Having a new cutter and software can be a bit of a learning curve, but this forum is great with many knowledgeable people who use this software and even have your same cutter.

Here is a link that explains a little about the difference between raster (bitmap) and vector images:

Raster and Vector Graphics

For cutting, you need to be using vector images. WinPCSIGN creates in vector format. So any text you create or image you draw in WinPCSIGN will be in vector format.

If a graphic you would like to use is in raster or bitmap format, you can import that image into WinPCSIGN and do what is called "vectorization". Vectorization interprets the bitmap image and tries its best at producing a vector image equivalent. It may take some adjustment after vectorization to have an image that can be output to your cutter cleanly, but it could save time in some cases than having to do the alternative, which is to create a design completely from scratch in vector format.

For rhinestone design, you will need to have your graphics in vector format, so that the software has those vector lines that it can use to lay down the rhinestone outlines and/or fills.

After reading the article I linked to, for the graphics you have that you want to turn into rhinestone designs, do you know which format you have now, raster or vector?

I have to run out for the evening, but will check back in tomorrow to see what other questions you have. I'm sure others will also add to this thread, which will no doubt turn into a great resource for all. :)

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks Scott!

I also received a few PM's on the subject and everyone is being so helpful. I think it will be good to learn from the beginning which I think would be what you have suggested - learning raster-vector graphics and the difference, first. I'll start there. My son has the software at his house and is playing with it and promises that it's not that big a deal and he will have me "in the know" in no time. And with all the helpful tips here, I'm sure he's right.

And yes, I think this will be great for the others here that may be having the same problems.

Thanks again for your help! I'm going to check out the link you sent right now.

· Registered
76 Posts
Terry you and I are sharing the same emotions right now. I received my system and I read so much and tried so much that just wasn't coming out right I thought I would just throw the computer out the window. lol It will come.

· Registered
3,923 Posts
I have made alot of free support videos for wnpcsign2010 on that web site,,
If you have any questions on anything I would be glad to help,
I do not get paid for support I do this for free.
If I have the answer I will be glad to help.
Sandy jo
MMM

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Terry you and I are sharing the same emotions right now. I received my system and I read so much and tried so much that just wasn't coming out right I thought I would just throw the computer out the window. lol It will come.
Hi April, I knew I couldn't be the only one. That's why I went ahead and posted. I hate to look like an idiot but the fact is, we just haven't had any training. A good place to start is learning raster-vector files which Scott suggested, so that the language at least makes sense. Then, Sandy Jo has posted some really good video's on the WinPC web site. I just take notes of each step while watching so that when I go back into my software it's all right there for me. My plan is to learn one thing very well and then move onto the next.

You are right, it will come. Let's all agree to NOT throw our computers out the window, ha!

We can do it! I'll post my first cut no matter what it looks like, lol, and I look forward to seeing yours. As we post our mistakes, I'm sure people will jump in and tell us what steps we are missing.

Thanks to all for the valuable information!!!

· Registered
229 Posts
I second this statement. I have been using Corel Draw for many, many years so I am certainly not new to artwork and vector files.

I just installed my WinPCSign Pro and I have to say..."Can they possibly make this software more confusing?"

I am playing with the weld tools...subtract, intersect, etc. I am getting an error message that says Convert to Path. Ok...but I can NOT find that option on any of the drop down menus.

I think I should have bought KNK or ACS software. It seems much more straight forward.

UGH!!!

· Registered
8,073 Posts
For those who have winpcsign and totally lost... Biggest problem that I have seen that too many try to do complex designs to start and then discouraged. I have done this with several and after spending about an hour in seeing what outlines/fills/spacing/vectoring is in very basic terms so you can understand the relationship to each other, they were off and running...Time might be short this week as I am getting ready to go to ISS on Thurs...but I would be happy to help

· Registered
229 Posts
Sandy Jo

Ok...Here is what I am doing. JHS in collegiate block with outline. My outline rhinestones aren't spacing properly on tops and bottoms of letters so I am attempting to follow Sandy's video to create two color letters. Granted she is showing it w/ KNK but I figured the same basic concepts should apply.

How the heck do I fill my letters with lines? I have the fonts converted and the array of lines to simulate where my stones will be placed.

Also, can you maybe give me some guidelines on spacing for the various size stones? 6SS, 10SS, 16SS, 20SS? Also, in order to get the stones to drop in the holes how much do you add to the size of the circles?

Someone mentioned your videos on the WinPC site but I don't see them. Can you send a link?

TIA

· Registered
3,923 Posts
Sandy Jo

Ok...Here is what I am doing. JHS in collegiate block with outline. My outline rhinestones aren't spacing properly on tops and bottoms of letters so I am attempting to follow Sandy's video to create two color letters. Granted she is showing it w/ KNK but I figured the same basic concepts should apply.

How the heck do I fill my letters with lines? I have the fonts converted and the array of lines to simulate where my stones will be placed.

Also, can you maybe give me some guidelines on spacing for the various size stones? 6SS, 10SS, 16SS, 20SS? Also, in order to get the stones to drop in the holes how much do you add to the size of the circles?

Someone mentioned your videos on the WinPC site but I don't see them. Can you send a link?

TIA
To fill a letter in Winpcsign unless you want to change the fill style ,, you do not have to go thru all that,,

Just select the fill box in the right hands box after selecting your stone size. (See picture below)

Here is a general guideline for stone size and spacing for stones using this program.

Select up 3 sizes or 4 for bigger size holes,,
Example a 6ss-2mm stone you will select a 10ss stone to cut and arrange on your design.

Here is a chart

6ss (2mm) design in 10ss-11ss
10ss (3mm)design in 13ss-14ss
14ss(4mm) design in 18-19ss

Now your spacing is as important as the size of holes you cut.

for spacing,,
If you are designing with a 10ss stone,, cut that in half,, and you have the number 5
always add a 0.0 and then that number which would be 0.05

Here are some general guides to go by for spacing

10ss - 0.05
13ss-0.07
19ss-0.08

Please copy these off and keep by your computer,,

With winpcsign or funtime,, you do not have to follow path lines to put your stones in place,, it is alot easier,,

Unless you change a fill option,

Attachments

· Registered
229 Posts
I know how to fill automatically. The issue I am having is the placement of the outline color. There are gaps at the top and bottoms of the letters.

What is the secret to getting the outline stones placed nicely around the inside fill?

· Registered
3,923 Posts
If you are having gaps,,

you may have spacing wrong for the image size you are trying to fill, try playing with your stones size or spacing.

On most images with a fill, I will do a outline of stones around a whole image,,
and then bring it over to my filled image,, and place it around my filled image

then adjust any stones that need to be to adjusted to complete the look.

Also Remember that your image you start with,, if it is a great image it will stone great if you choose the right size of stones and spacing,,
If your eps image you start with has bad vector lines ,, that is how it will stone as well.

In most of these rhinestone software programs,, if you have blank spots,, it is where stones will collide,, on top of each other,,
The software programs are built to just not put a stone in where colllisions will occur.

Sandy Jo

· Registered
229 Posts
I have tried several different "collegiate" type fonts...several stone sizes, different spacing. The letters look fine.

Then I go to create an outline around the font and place the stones on the outline (no fill) and the resulting image looks like crap. There is too much space between the circles that make up the fill and the circles that make up the outline...but only on the horizontal lines. (which is why I was attempting to follow Sandy's video on creating a two color letter).

Now...my stupid text is typing out mirrored both horizontally and vertically :mad:. I can mirror it back correctly but when I move the font the outline is showing mirrored and relative placement is not center when I move to final position.

:confused::mad::confused:

I just wanted to create a simple design for a decal...JHS in two colors and I have been playing with this all freaking day!!! This can not be this hard.

· Registered
3,923 Posts
I always create my outline before stoning a item

also make sure your outline is wide enough, you can adjust the the width in this box (see photo)

you find this box under

select tools
select outline

then you will see this box adjust the outline to your desired size, you will see it change as you change the numbers

Attachments

· Registered
3,923 Posts
I have tried several different "collegiate" type fonts...several stone sizes, different spacing. The letters look fine.

Then I go to create an outline around the font and place the stones on the outline (no fill) and the resulting image looks like crap. There is too much space between the circles that make up the fill and the circles that make up the outline...but only on the horizontal lines. (which is why I was attempting to follow Sandy's video on creating a two color letter).

Now...my stupid text is typing out mirrored both horizontally and vertically :mad:. I can mirror it back correctly but when I move the font the outline is showing mirrored and relative placement is not center when I move to final position.

I just wanted to create a simple design for a decal...JHS in two colors and I have been playing with this all freaking day!!! This can not be this hard.
I really dont think you have your setting set up... that you are having these issues,,

when you type it should not be typing in mirror,,

I would suggest getting your program set up with whom you purchased it from. They will help you get your settings right.

Normally when you type, letters are not mirrored.

Sandy jo
MMM

· Registered
328 Posts
Hi,
I am not clear on what you are saying, sorry.
Try this and let me know if it helps. On the top tool bar go to Setting, choose Set Up from the drop down. click the Unit/Page tab. Make sure your settings are correct there unit of measurement = mm if using rhinestones click ok.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.