T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a long time lurker around here and I now I need to enlist some help from you guys! :)

I design automotive themed t-shirts and I'm working on an anti-truck shirt. The design has a street sign of a truck with the text "LORRIES SUCK" underneath it, "lorries" being the British term for "trucks."

Is there a British equivalent for the word "sucks"? I'm trying to get these shirts as authentic as possible.

Thanks!

-Tom

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I presume you're aiming for "bollocks"? It's rude, but not that rude.

The problem is, he wants a verb, and you're giving him nouns. "Lorries are Rubbish" and "Lorries are Bollocks" don't really give the same punch (and the second one doesn't make any sense, even in slang, although has an oddly nice vibe to it).

The problem is, "lorries" isn't a very "readable" word in the UK. Truck is obviously a truck, when written or heard. You could hear the word "lorries" and obviously know what it is, but "lorries" is a very odd word to see written. Which isn't really what you want form a punchy slogan. Even the singular "lorry" looks a little odd to my eye (whereas the verbal version is fine).

HGV would probably be a more recognisable, or Lorry in the singular (at a pinch).

And if you're aiming to be authentic....the equivalenty shirt in England would probably be ruder (like "F**k LORRY DRIVERS")

·
Registered
401 Posts
Lorries Are Pants :)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
FTWear said:
monkeylantern - you would obviously be Very surprised at the amount of people in the UK that still use pants! (the word, not the item of clothing) :p
I've only been away 18 months :)

The only people now who do so are those who do so in the same spirit as grandparents speaking to their grandchilden with 1980s slang they just got around to absorbing. Although still usually spoken as if with quotation marks (Is this "cool"? Is that "cool"?).

Or the ironic :)

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
harkonnen said:
how about "bloody lorries"
That's something my dad would say when stuck behind one on a single lane highway.

Depends on the context of the shirt really.

·
Registered
15 Posts
pants pants pants pants pants pants pants pants

sorry about that, i don't know what came over me......what about
'Trucks R Sh*te'

authentic, and catchy!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input guys, but now I'm more confused than before, haha.

"BLOODY LORRIES" sounds cool but it sort of lacks the punch I was looking for...anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
69 Posts
TomPowered said:
"BLOODY LORRIES" sounds cool but it sort of lacks the punch I was looking for...anyone have any other ideas?
If your market is the UK, then 'bloody lorries' is great because it epitomizes the British conservative culture imo... Traditionally, Brits wouldn't shout it from the rooftops, you can just see them mumbling under their breath, 'bloody lorries' :p

If your market is the US then I can see where the punch comes in.

Anyway, I'll have another think... no guarantees though! ;)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Bloody Lorries is pretty perfect. I usually use the f word behind them though as they continually want to overtake each other!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts