T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My equipment is moving from an industrial type shop with overhead roll doors to a residential type shop area with standard size doors. I brought the press used with no manual or anything and I find myself not knowing how to take it apart and it will not fit through the doors as it is. I am about 2 inches short. I tried already tried taking the door off. Does anyone have any idea how to remove the top rotating assembly from the base? I am lost. All I know is that its a Hopkins Something.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Have you taken the platen arms off? 4 bolts each. I can't see from the photo, but the print arms surely will unbolt from the top carousel. After that, if necessary, the actual frame base of the press is the largest thing to fit through the door. One thing when taking a press apart, is that it never hurts to mark each piece and the mounting surface it came from so you can put the parts back in their original position. On some presses, the platen arms will have a roll pin driven through a hole drilled in the bracket that attaches to the lower carousel to line it back up level, and prevent putting the wrong platen arm in the wrong position. If not, and you remove the platen arms, and there's slotted holes in the bracket to allow some movement in the position of the arm before tightening the bolts, you'll have to level all the platen arms again, not only level as measured with a bubble-type carpenter's level, but level to the other platen arms so the platens are all on the same plane.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I agree with Tom...DEFINITELY mark each print arm with base. Hopkins tunes their presses to be attached #1 with #1 #2 with #2, etc.
I've got a Hopkins press myself. Great presses.
Also, you should go to the Hopkins website, get their phone # and give em a call.
Riley has helped me out before. Nice guy.
Or, give Ryonet a call. They could walk you through it too.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to update guys, though it took some time to solve, we eventually figured out how to take this press apart. It was actually pretty simple and we probably would have figured it out on our own if we were not exhausted from moving. Thanks for the replies though. The previous shop owner who sold me the press told me about the numbered platen arms as well, but since we had the roll top door and the extra wide u haul truck removing the arms ws all we knew how to do.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, that press is not a Riley Hopkins Promotions press, but either one of the presses he manufactured as Hopkins International, or it's one of the presses manufactured by Hopkins BWM. For what it's worth, Hopkins International and Hopkins BWM are one and the same, and Riley took a separate path after selling or losing the older Hopkins International business. He may very well help you, but parts and service for those presses (as well as new ones) are only available from Hopkins BWM now. When I had an old Hopkins he directed me to them. Just FYI.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its definitely a Hopkins international. Its stamped on the printhead. It was just in a position that I never notices before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts