T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to come up for a design for a college paintball team, unfortunately i dont have time to go thru there approval process. I have attached a photo of both the original and our mock up, i have modified the original by extending the wings on the letters and removing the bottom wing, i have also flattened out the outline at the top. Is this enough change or do i need to completely change the font or more ?? I know there probably isnt a bunch of lawyers on here but any advice would be great. Probably only making about 25 shirts.

Attachments

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to learn your terms.......This is a very clear TRADEMARK violation....And it does not matter if you are making 1 shirt or 1,000s it is still a violation....
thats why i posted this im "trying to learn my terms", i guess im just not sure at what point its not a violation, if i use a regular font like collegiate outline on a blue box is it still a violation ? Are the 3 letters fau copyrighted ?

· Registered
7,118 Posts
Yes, the letters FAU are trademarked. Any use without permission can be considered infringement and can lead to legal issues. There is no law that says if you change a logo a certain amount that its legal to use. So any "variation" of the FAU logo you come up with will be risky. Even if you erase the existing logo from your mind and design your own original FAU logo, it could still be an issue due to to the existing registered trademark. As Royce mentioned, if you don't have time for the approval process, you should pass on the job.

· Registered
10,342 Posts
I really have to chime in here. This is counterfeiting. This is a felony, not just a civil action. When you represent the real product endorsed by the holder of the mark you have gone from civil to criminal. You really need to get an approval in writing to do this.

The test is if you represented this as official merchandise and from what I can see you are doing just that.

· Registered
2,007 Posts
I have to agree with the others. This is a rip off of the original design. As to you figuring there probably aren't too many lawyers on this forum you would be correct. This is t-shirt forum and not a BAR forum. You really should consult an attorney on these matters and not ask "non-attorney spokespersons" their opinions. Plenty of members here to help but we are more qualified to advise you on printing matters but this one is rather obvious to those who have been at it awhile. You say you don't have time for the approval process so you definitely don't have the time to add an attorney consultation to the time frame either. PASS unless you like living dangerously.

· Registered
1,649 Posts
I have to go the other way IF you are dealing with a group affiliated with FAU AND they are providing both the sample artwork and a request to modify the logo to their specifications.

If they are not affiliated with FAU than I'd walk away from it...

I'm guessing FAU is "Florida Atlantic University"

· Registered
729 Posts
Even if they are affiliated I would contact the media/marketing dept at FAU to see if it is okay. Sounds like it is a student club. I don't think the process would take that long. Better safe than sorry! :)

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have abandoned this design as im not looking to get into any trouble, its for the fau paintball team which my son plays on. They have a big tournament and just wanted to make up some kind of shirt that us parents could wear at the event so we could identify each other.

Thanks for everyone's advice

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.