T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I'm new to this site and I have a few questions. First let me give a little background. I am an artist, specifically an airbrush and tattoo artist, and there are a couple of people that want me to go into the T shirt industry with them. These people have no experience but they have the financial backing needed to start a business. Anyway, I am seriously considering their offer because the shop would incorporate airbrushing and tattooing in addition to the t shirts. So, I think it would be pretty successful. However, I disagree with the method we should use to produce our designs on t shirts.

This is where I need the advise of others in the business. I want to design shirts similar to the styles of t shirts made by Mr. Cartoon, who is out of California. You know, the lowrider, Chicano art type of theme, in addition to regular sports team and club shirts. But, what type of equipment would be best suited for both types of clients. I should add that I plan to airbrush the original designs on canvas or artboard first. So, I need to know how this can be transformed to shirts using either silk screen or other methods.

Sorry for writing a book. But, your help is greatly appreciated. Also, if you don't believe this would be as successful as I think then please put your two cents in as well.

Sincerely

Garry

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
You can get your designs scanned into a computer by a screen printer (if they are actual air brushed designs) and printed onto t-shirts.

I've seen some nice airbrushed artwork turned into full color screen printed t-shirt designs.

I would say that 99% of the t-shirts you see sold in retail stores are screen printed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, you really only have two viable options: screenprint or heat transfer.

It really depends on what kind of look or quality you are going for. If you are air brushing a bunch of colors (over..8 or so) I'd suggest heat transfer, because screen printing might be more expensive...unless you do high quantity runs. You have to figure out how many you would want printed right off, and then you can get an idea of what would be more cost efficient.

If you airbrush your design, you can either scan it, or photograph it. Your idea is fine and should get off the ground, you just have to decide how you want to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering whether you know what type of equip I would need to transfer the aribrush designs on to t shirts. You mentioned a screen printer or transfers but could you give me more info please?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts