T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 640 which I use for everything to do with my businesses and for home use. Unfortunately I think the machine may be nearing the end of it's life and I am looking around to replace it. I would like another laptop, preferrrably one designed to deal with graphics packages.

I currently do my designing with Inkscape and run my Redsail cutter via Signblazer. At some point in the future I would like to (...be able to afford to...:rolleyes:) purchase WinPC. I have visted the Inkscape website but I can't find anything there that sets out the minimum spec required to run their software.

Because I have school age children I am often out and about acting as a taxi driver and I take my laptop everywhere so that I can work while the kids are busy. I also use my laptop as a CD player at home as I can simply pick it up and take it with me if I have to work in a different room. My machine is used a lot and needs to be a sturdy workhorse.

My question is (yes, finally I get around to the question) I am considering replacing my current machine with another Dell, the Vostro 3700 (link here Vostro 3700 Laptop Details | Dell Australia ) Does anyone have any thoughts about the suitability of this machine? Can anyone recommend another laptop that may be more suitable? I like Dell as in the past I have found their after sales service to be excellent but am not committed but have no issue with buying another brand.

I would appreciate any thoughts you may care to share.

Thanks

Kim

· Registered
83 Posts
Hi Kim, I also like dells and recently at work we all got new Dell laptops. They are the precision m4500 laptops.

I recommend going with 64 bit windows if you can. That way you can put more ram in. Just check that your printers and software are 64 bit ready.

Specs of our new work computer:
- win 7 pro 64 bit
- 8 gb RAM
- dedicated video card, not built into the motherboard, with 1 gb of RAM.
- i7 quad core processor.

These laptops can handle any graphics intensive work we do. We work mainly in autocad 2011 and creative suite 4, both programs can be pretty demanding and these new laptops easily handle the tasks.

If you can though I would get a MacBook over Dell anyday! We cannot run macs at work because of autocad otherwise we would all be on macs for sure.

· Registered
321 Posts
I can get laptops/notebook computers a a good price. They don't have as long of a usefull life span as a desk top since you can't do much as far as up grades so your forced to buy one every couple of years to stay current. I can get you some models with 17" screen, lots of memory and big hard drive fir in the $600 range. Not trying to sell you something jut help.

Philip

Hi all

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 640 which I use for everything to do with my businesses and for home use. Unfortunately I think the machine may be nearing the end of it's life and I am looking around to replace it. I would like another laptop, preferrrably one designed to deal with graphics packages.

I currently do my designing with Inkscape and run my Redsail cutter via Signblazer. At some point in the future I would like to (...be able to afford to...:rolleyes:) purchase WinPC. I have visted the Inkscape website but I can't find anything there that sets out the minimum spec required to run their software.

Because I have school age children I am often out and about acting as a taxi driver and I take my laptop everywhere so that I can work while the kids are busy. I also use my laptop as a CD player at home as I can simply pick it up and take it with me if I have to work in a different room. My machine is used a lot and needs to be a sturdy workhorse.

My question is (yes, finally I get around to the question) I am considering replacing my current machine with another Dell, the Vostro 3700 (link here Vostro 3700 Laptop Details | Dell Australia ) Does anyone have any thoughts about the suitability of this machine? Can anyone recommend another laptop that may be more suitable? I like Dell as in the past I have found their after sales service to be excellent but am not committed but have no issue with buying another brand.

I would appreciate any thoughts you may care to share.

Thanks

Kim

· Registered
2,977 Posts
I'd just like to toss in my 2 cents here. I have (in the past) purchased 4 Dells (1 laptop and 3 desktops) and ALL of them had to have the harddrive replaced in less than a year and a half. No, I wasn't buying the cheap ones either. My last Dell purchase (mid-range desktop) is on it's 3rd hard drive now. Would I ever purchase another Dell? Probably not, unless it was at a really good price and I didn't have a lot to spend. They tend to use really cheap components in their computers that don't hold up well under daily heavy use.

· Registered
4,889 Posts
I'd just like to toss in my 2 cents here. I have (in the past) purchased 4 Dells (1 laptop and 3 desktops) and ALL of them had to have the harddrive replaced in less than a year and a half. No, I wasn't buying the cheap ones either. My last Dell purchase (mid-range desktop) is on it's 3rd hard drive now. Would I ever purchase another Dell? Probably not, unless it was at a really good price and I didn't have a lot to spend. They tend to use really cheap components in their computers that don't hold up well under daily heavy use.
Most hard drives used by manufacturers are made in the same factories in Taiwan/Korea/China

· Registered
276 Posts
Just getting into the business...and this question caught my eye.

In the past, I have preffered Apple over PC. I know that the Adobe products and Quickbooks are available for Mac...what about the other programs that I will be typically using. Will I have compatibility issues (software) if I elect to go Apple vs PC?

Most like I would be setting up a network in the office/shop, so perhaps I could just use PC for the rest of the computers and just have the Apple for myself...?

Any input would be greatly appreciated...not trying to hijack your thread! (Sorry TS!)

· Registered
276 Posts
True, but you still have programs that don't have a "Mac Version". Getting better...but you still run into that. And yes, I know you can run vmware or parallels... I just would prefer not to introduce any type of PC program (and the associated viruses and bugs) onto a Mac platform.

· Registered
2,977 Posts
I just installed some new equipment and the software that came with them all said "not compatable with Mac". I've never had a Mac for that reason. Most programs and equipment are made to be PC compatable because that's the industry norm.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your thoughts Loretta. Gee you have had bad luck with Dell. I have had really good machines. The current one had the screen replaced under the extended warrenty and I had to purchase a replacement power chord for the previous machine, but that is all that has ever gone wrong with them and my machine runs pretty close to 24 hours a day. It is always good to hear other people's thoughts though, thanks for sharing.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are some figures for laptop reliability from the Consumer Association (Which?) in the UK.
There isn't a great deal of difference between manufacturers.

Brand -Score
Toshiba
87%
Acer
86%
Apple
86%
Fujitsu-Siemens
86%
Hewlett-Packard
86%
Sony
86%
Dell
84%
Overall reliability
86%
Now that is interesting. Thanks for the info.

Kim

· Registered
276 Posts
Get a MacBook pro. You will be so happy, install parallels to run your PC only programs. Once you go Mac, you'll never go back :)
So true!

I also find it ironic that so many designers/graphics people prefer Macs, but the programs you need to DO something with those graphics are often "pc only".

Reactions: Kim_t2_au

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Just getting into the business...and this question caught my eye.

In the past, I have preffered Apple over PC. I know that the Adobe products and Quickbooks are available for Mac...what about the other programs that I will be typically using. Will I have compatibility issues (software) if I elect to go Apple vs PC?
I'm a Mac user since about 1993. A big problem with Macs is and has always been the selection of software and driver support from peripheral vendors. I've always used PCs alongside Macs over all these years and I'm finally at the point where I feel that the Mac is a better machine, both software and hardware. I know much of the components are the same, but not all of them. But it's truly a PC world. You give up plenty when you take the Mac route. I'm not trying to start a Mac vs PC war. I've been using both my entire career and I believe both Macs and OS X are better than Windows, and PCs at this stage. But I'm far more productive on a PC because there's nothing I don't have access to. But boy is the user experience on the Mac far and away better these days. LOL Especially on laptops. Apple wrote the book on multi-touch. The people on the PC side haven't even read it. I have a brand new multi-touch hp machine with also a digitizer layer with included stylus for drawing/writing on the screen. Sounds like cutting edge stuff, but the user experience is almost funny it's so bad. LOL I bought it strictly for drawing and the fact that it does get the job done is the only reason I didn't send it back. There's not much else that I can say positive about it except that it's being featured in some designer tv show as a big commercial for HP. LOL Good luck with the Mac if you take that route.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.