T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use EnduraTex Hotmark 70, for custom printing onto sublimated motocross jerseys. I bought this business second hand and this is what the original owner was using. I am looking to upgrade to something that is more friendly with the sublimation and will not bleed through. What brand and model of vinyl do you recommend?. I still like the hot mark for t's and hoodies, but the sublimation bleeding is killing me. I am currently waiting on samples from Thermoflex, spectra, stahls and 1 other. does anybody have any input?

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I think you may need to look at a thicker vinyl. I think some of the Stahls vinyl may do the trick. I like Hotmark real well too and the Eco film is great. .... JB

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yes, Stahls recently emailed me about a new vinyl called AirTech which is used on mesh fabrics.(jerseys, etc...)
I have not tried it yet though so can't say how well it works.

They also have Sub-block vinyl made for already sublimated fabrics such as cotton, polyester, nylon, lycra etc....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
--The sub block is to be use as with a cutter/printer, I am using a cutter and layering my colors. I will need to find out the sublimation capabilities of that AirTech...........Thanks.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LARRY

I talked to Stahls and they've never heard of AirTech. Are you sure that's who you heard about it from? Could you get me more info....Thanks....Pat....

·
Registered
696 Posts
I received an email from Stahls Canada about all their new media for use with printer/cutters & Airtech was one of them. It's one of the Cad Color Solutions materials.
Maybe it's called something else in the U.S.
Anyway the number to Stahls Canada that was on the email is 1 800 521 5255
If you call them maybe they can direct you further.
Hopefully this will help you.

(I just sent you a PM with the link to it)

Lar

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. AirTech is available to Stahls Canada, not in the US. But thanks anyhow. Even then, The AirTech for for printing, I am just using CAD-Cut stuff. I am obtaining samples of Thermoflex, Spectra, Stahls Thermo stuff, Siser, Joto, and Hotfix so far. Gonna buy a dozen jerseys and figure it all out on my own. Thanks again.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I currently use EnduraTex Hotmark 70, for custom printing onto sublimated motocross jerseys. I bought this business second hand and this is what the original owner was using. I am looking to upgrade to something that is more friendly with the sublimation and will not bleed through. What brand and model of vinyl do you recommend?. I still like the hot mark for t's and hoodies, but the sublimation bleeding is killing me. I am currently waiting on samples from Thermoflex, spectra, stahls and 1 other. does anybody have any input?
Hi Pat,

Can you give me a little background of how you are experiencing the bleed through or what's causing it?

Is it due to your sublimation techniques or due to applying the Hotmark vinyl? I'd like to understand what's actually happening here, as I'm not very versed on the sublimation process.

Also, in looking at the Stahls' ID US site, all CAD-CUT products on this page starting from ThermoFilm on down will adhere to polyester mesh and (some) nylon mesh.

http://www.stahls.com/stahls/CAID_cad-cut_yardage.asp?mscsid=Q2J49KW0NN3P8L65NQDTQVUVQ1EX76D3

Furthermore, SGIA '08 in Atlanta is happening in a couple of weeks. Stahls and some of the other companies you want samples from will have a booth there and plenty of product to sample and/or take home and try. As well, representatives can answer questions on the spot and tell you what will and will not work for you.

If you can make it, I highly suggest it, as it would be a wealth of info and I'm certain you'll find what you need in one big expo. :)

Thanks...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ms. Blue
I am going to try to load a couple pics so you can see. Ultimately what is happening is this. when I press the Hotmark 70, it activates the inks in the shirt, they then absorb into the vinyl and make the stripes and graphics of the shirt appear in the vinyl itself almost as if the vinyl is semi-transparent. It is due to the sublimation ink in each particular jersey. The shirts I use are NOT sublimated by me, they are just the standard motocross jerseys that anybody can buy from a dealer. I have a terrible time with FOX jerseys, but most others go okay. Sometimes, NOFEAR will bleed like this red one also, but not always. Just depends on which particular model of shirt in their brand.
You can look at each shirt and see how the shirt graphics are visible through the lettering. Even when I use black as a base color on the FOX shirts, it's still bad. On this green shirt, I used silver and the silver is the thickest, most opaque color I have in my inventory and it still bleeds.
I have plans to attend a show in Philly this winter, I can't make it to Atlanta. Like I said in an earlier post, I am getting ready to experiment this winter and come back next season with something better....Thanks.....Pat......

Attachments

·
Registered
938 Posts
Ms. Blue
I am going to try to load a couple pics so you can see. Ultimately what is happening is this. when I press the Hotmark 70, it activates the inks in the shirt, they then absorb into the vinyl and make the stripes and graphics of the shirt appear in the vinyl itself almost as if the vinyl is semi-transparent. It is due to the sublimation ink in each particular jersey. The shirts I use are NOT sublimated by me, they are just the standard motocross jerseys that anybody can buy from a dealer. I have a terrible time with FOX jerseys, but most others go okay. Sometimes, NOFEAR will bleed like this red one also, but not always. Just depends on which particular model of shirt in their brand.
You can look at each shirt and see how the shirt graphics are visible through the lettering. Even when I use black as a base color on the FOX shirts, it's still bad. On this green shirt, I used silver and the silver is the thickest, most opaque color I have in my inventory and it still bleeds.
I have plans to attend a show in Philly this winter, I can't make it to Atlanta. Like I said in an earlier post, I am getting ready to experiment this winter and come back next season with something better....Thanks.....Pat......
Thanks Pat, as this makes it easily clear what's happening. I also looked at some of the work on your site and can see where your other designs did not bleed through (and looked great).

I'm hoping some of the other materials you're going test will work for you.

It may help to do some snooping around here too:
Dye Sublimation - T-Shirt Forums

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Ms. Blue, I did originally post in the dye-sub section, but the board boss moved it somewhere else. Testing will keep me busy during the winter season with no motocross going on. I'll keep you posted......Pat....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts