T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have an issue. We had a graphic designer create a graphic for us. I started checking out some other companies and I appears that part of our logo has a part of a well know companies logo. No letters or words, just a graphic. I am assuming this is illegal. ANy help?

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
You'll get a bunch of replies telling you to consult an attorney but your gut instinct is probably correct and I would just spend the money having the logo changed rather than hiring an attorney to confirm what you already know. If it looks similar to you then it will probably look similar to everyone and could prompt legal action from the other company to prevent confusion in the marketplace.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Rick's advice is spot on.

There can be a lot to the legal/illegal question, but sometimes it's better to just sidestep it and start again (for financial and creative reasons, as wickedprints also brings up).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My next question is, if we are paying her to create our logo and designs, do we need to have a contract agreement so I can trademark(logo) and copyright(designs)?

·
Registered
59 Posts
My next question is, if we are paying her to create our logo and designs, do we need to have a contract agreement so I can trademark(logo) and copyright(designs)?
You need to have a contract with the designer saying "it is work for hire." You also want in the contract that something such as: designer assigns all intellectual property rights, including copyrights, to client of all works under this agreement, etc."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts