T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. Brand new on here. Stumbled across it looking for reviews of printmojo and e-shirt.com. I am looking to start selling t-shirts, sweatshirts, hats, etc. Just like everyone else on here. BUT b/c I live in Northern NJ and have a 17 month old daughter and a stay at home mom b/c day care is outrageous, i dont have much income if any to use and was looking at printmojo and eshirt as a way of designing and having them sell my shirts until i am able to get things going. Any ideas/info/help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys/gals!!!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
You might also, spend some of your time, networking with local print shops and have them produce to order for you. No initial dollar investment just some time and maybe marketing $$. Research heat transfer, embroidery, screen printing etc. and find out which one meets the look you envision.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
With PrintMojo, there is an initial investment to get your t-shirts printed.

With eshirt, cafepress.com, spreadshirt.com, zazzle.com, you don't need to put out any money to get your store up and running.

You will still need money to advertise and promote your store, otherwise you'll have a store with cool products, but nobody will know about them.

Any ideas/info/help would be GREATLY appreciated
What specific questions do you have?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Chris, I also live in Northern NJ. Will you be doing your own designs? I have a client I do some art for and while he has a website he sells alot of shirts on ebay. I'm not selling shirts myself so I can't speak from experience but he orders a new design every couple of months so he must be selling.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't these sites have search engines built into them though? Can't they find your products that way without paying?

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Don't these sites have search engines built into them though?
Some do, some don't.

Can't they find your products that way without paying?
It's possible, but not guaranteed.

To run a successful business, you will need money to advertise/market the business. You will need time to promote the business.

I'm not saying you have to spend 1000's of dollars, but you should never rely on your fulfillment company to send customers to you.

The people that are making money are finding ways to market their products on their own. That includes search engines (which can be free), relevant links, paid keyword ads on search engines, banner ads, site sponsorships, newsletter advertising, etc.

You have to find a way to reach your target market. The fulfillment company should be seen as just the tool to get the shirts printed and in the hands of the customers YOU find :)

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
.... 17 month girl...you are blessed already. :)

another road you can take at no cost is to work on your designs and plug them to peeps that make and distribute iron on transfers.... they are always looking for new artists/designs.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I wouldnt use e-shirt.com. Cafepress and spreadshirt are the two best services in my opinion. They will allow you to customize the look/feel of your site much more than e-shirt.

Don't count on getting alot of sales just through e-shirt, or cafepress's search engine. You will have to advertise your seite if you want to make serious money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the responses. I am in the process of looking into the different processes, heat transfer, screen printing, etc. Anyone have opinions on which is better? My buddy and I figured the best way to get going is to send our designs to be printed and then throw them out to friends/family for their opinions. Trying to find printer that has good quality t's and another one for hats.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I am in the process of looking into the different processes, heat transfer, screen printing, etc. Anyone have opinions on which is better?
There are lots of opinions on this :)

Screen printing is still more used in retail storefronts, but the quality of heat press when done right, can be very good as well. You may also want to look into plastisol transfers, which are basically screen printed transfers that you apply with a heat press.

You can find more information about one versus the other, plastisol and more with a search of the forums (using the search box in the upper left hand corner)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Chris,

I'm from Northern New Jersey too and I have a three year old. And yes, daycare in Bergen County is way too high!!

From personal experience, and because of costs, I decided to do Plastisol transfers. The money up front is not that bad (as to silk screen) and you can print on demand.

Just hang in there!

Aimee

1 - 11 of 11 Posts