T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am applying heat transfer number to the back of poly mesh shorts. This is one of my first jobs and I made a rookie of all rookies mistakes. I put a black number on instead of a white! What can I do??? Can I put a white transfer over the black and repress it? Or just let the customer know I need another week to get them one more shirt?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
happy customers means repeat business..explain what happen, eat the cost and never make the same rookie mistake twice..it happens to all of us..your shop will just call you "ROOKIE" for a week or 2

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think I might give him the one with a black number on it, then tell him your honest mistake, and give him a correct one later, when I could. You can always try to place the white over the black, it may not line up perfectly, and it will be thicker. It should stick though, just like layered heat press vinyl. If it's not up to your standard, give him that one, and replace later. I would make it right though, because it's your reputation, and you don't want to start off with a bad one..

·
Administrator
14,485 Posts
What kind of transfers are they? If vinyl, you can press a white one over the black. I would have it cut ever so slightly larger to make sure none of the black can be seen.

If the transfers are plastisol, the above may still work. But your placement would have to be spot on.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I hate to say it but I have done it also. I do as splathead stated and make it a tad larger to make sure no black shows than press again. I use thermoflex or siser and you cant tell with either.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
i think it depends on what you've already told your customer. if you gave them a hard deadline and said they would be done on such and such a date, you have to try fixing it like stated above. telling the customer the truth then becomes a dilemma. if you don't you'll look foolish as they will surely be able to tell by the feel of the shirt that the one shirt is different than the others, and if you do you'll look like a rookie who made a dumb mistake.

i say try to hedge on the delivery date and eat the cost of overnite delivery on jersey and transfer to make it right without their knowledge of anything being wrong in the first place. either way we've all done it and depending on your customer relation skills.......you might lose this customer as a result. hope not. good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I have made a mistake, I almost always give the customer the fixed/altered mistake (if possible) and explain my error so they have something to wear. However, depending on the situation, I do not always want my mistake on display. In your case, you should be able to repress with the correct color. I would then order them a new one as soon as reasonably possible and get it completed. Based on their time line and how the repressed one looks will determine if you need to overnight a new one. With the new corrected version, I usually give the customer a t-shirt or cap (something inexpensive) with their logo and/or name on it as a thank you for being patient and understanding. It is tough to be upset when you give someone something for free and show you value their business.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Why don't you remove it with your ink remover? I can remove plastisol prints and vinyl lettering with this. It works great.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What ink remover do you recommend people use to remove a design?
I bought my spot cleaning gun from silkscreeningsupplies.com and it came with sr-97 spot remover for cured plastisol, water based inks and flock adhesive. It is the only thing that I have used so far.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you to everyone's advice. Since the shirts were navy blue, I went ahead and put the white number on top of the black number. Its unnoticeable and lined up quite well. I will be delivering the shirts on Monday morning and hopefully all will go well!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts