T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got an image and added it to Microsoft paint and from there i have saved it as a JPEG image, would this be considered a vector image i could submit to a printer?
I was also wondering if anyone knew any programs that aid in designing shirts, for instance lets say it has a t shirt template and you could create your design within the template?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I have got an image and added it to Microsoft paint and from there i have saved it as a JPEG image, would this be considered a vector image i could submit to a printer?
I was also wondering if anyone knew any programs that aid in designing shirts, for instance lets say it has a t shirt template and you could create your design within the template?
A JPEG is not a vector image but a raster image made of pixels.

Go Media has tee templates that work in Photoshop.

Inkscape is a free vector based work platform.

·
Registered
861 Posts
You will want to submit vector images in .eps format to your printer. Industry standard program for creating vector art is Adobe illustrator, but you can also use Corell draw or the program Moto mentioned. Just make sure you save the file in .eps format. As for the template, you can get them online or easily create your own t-shirt outline to use. If you have to submit a raster image, make sure it's at least 300dpi. But vector is always better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the help guys! I downloaded inkscape and i'm really confused now, i imported my image now all i have to do is save it as an eps file?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
no... if you are starting with an image it is a bitmap. saving a bitmap as an eps does not make it a vector. EPS file can contain both.

You would use the vector software to redraw the bitmap so that it is just vectors and no pixels. Depending on your image (and quality standards) you may have success with a bitmap to vector conversion application.... The software can trace the bitmap and create vectors from the jpg.

You can do it online also... vectormagic.com

Or send the file to someone to redraw it for you... it just costs money.

Post the image... lets see what you have to work with.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
If you have the font on your computer you should be able to create with it in inkscape. Open the app. and look on the left tool bar. There is a black letter A, left click on it. Now move the cursor with your mouse where you want to start the type and left click. Type your word and then go up to the top tool bar and select text...text and font. This will open an edit window and you can select your type face.

·
Registered
869 Posts
and..if you don't have the font on your computer..then you will have to find it, download and install it. After that, you can use it at will. In some cases you may or need to convert it to curves. If your sending the artwork to a third party and they do not have the on their computer, convert to curves is required. Most service bureaus will require it converted to curves before they will accept it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys i appreciate the help! I managed to convert it using vector magic and i got 3 different file versions, the eps, pdf and svg. if my printer wont accept the file like that ill make sure to convert it through inkscape. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
just because you vectorized it doesn't mean that its perfect. You can download any of those formats and open it up in Inkscape to make sure it doesn't look bad.

But David is right "if you have the font" just type it up in Inkscape and save it as an .eps format.

·
Registered
869 Posts
just because you vectorized it doesn't mean that its perfect. You can download any of those formats and open it up in Inkscape to make sure it doesn't look bad.

But David is right if you have the font just type it up in Inkscape and save it as an .eps format.
He didn't say he had the font..just that he wanted his artwork to look like that. I suspect he got the artwork from someone else. (just based on his demonstrated knowledge level).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So after going through the fonts in inkscape, i found out that its parchment font, but my friend edited out some parts of the design. I think it looks better edited but i need to edit it so its perfect :) Inkscape is a cool program thanks for the info guys!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts