T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been trying to screen print with Nazdar 9600 ink. (I'm also using Nazdar's NB72 Adhesion promoting additive.) My plan was to print on small poly ziplock style bags and also on the arms of sunglasses.

It's been a nightmare.

I tried the bags first. (I'm using a 305 mesh screen - The details in the design are very small) I simply cut a piece of cardboard to fit inside the bags and then laid that on the pallet with some "risers" to help with off contact. First one came out Perfect! (See pic below) EVERY SINGLE one after that wouldn't print cleanly. I ruined like 30 bags trying to figure what I was doing wrong. (Tried taping the bags to the pallet as well, didn't help) Extremely aggravating because since the first one came out so nice I know it'll work. After the first print, the ink would only stick to the bag in a few places. The ink also got super thick and gummy REALLY fast. I've read that thinning the ink helps with that. I don't have any thinner at the moment though.

Does any one have an alternative ink that works with poly bags? (An ink that won't scratch or peel off)

And does anyone have any general advice for printing on bags? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Next I tried the sunglasses. They are 80's style wayfarers. I can print on them just fine but again, the ink got gummy and prints started to get worse and worse. Is pad printing a ton easier for printing on sunglasses? I would love to be able to do this myself because it's too expensive to outsource.

Any advice for printing on sunglasses?

At this point I'm ready to give up on this ink. The fumes alone are enough to make me never want to open the can again. Such a mess too. Yet I would LOVE to be able to print on, at least, the bags. Poly bags and mailers are so cheap and customizing them would be such a great little addition to my brand.

Again any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm so discouraged right now! :(

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
UPDATE - Now it looks as if the ink isn't even going to stick to the bags. I tried printing on the bags with and without the adhesion additive, neither worked. It's peeling right off. I don't even know what to do any more.

Does anyone know of an ink that is good for poly bags & mailers? (And hopefully one that isn't as big of a pain as Nazdar 9600)

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update (Again) - So the ink sticks really well to the sunglasses:

It's pretty hard to scratch off which is great. But like I said, the screen gets gummed up really fast. So I guess I need to get a thinner to slow down the evaporation?

· Registered
2,940 Posts
If it's an air-dry solvent, you'll have to keep the screen flooded between prints, and keep moving. Coroplast printing is the same. Gotta pull about 3 prints or more every minute or things want to plug up. Check with the manufacturer for retarders. Makes all the difference with Nazdar's Corogloss inks.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for reply tpitman! I was keeping the screen flooded but it just didn't help. I've since called both my supplier and the manufacturer. (Nazdar) The guy at Nazdar pretty much said "Oh yeah you can't really use that type of ink without a retarder." REALLY wish I would have been told that when I bought the ink. The sales rep knew I had never used that kind of ink before...

The real kick in the head is this - I bought a quart of ink. And that will last forever with these tiny prints. So I call to buy the retarder and they only sell it by the GALLON and it's over a 100 bucks!!! Seeing as you only use a small percent of the retarder compared to ink, I'd never in a million years use that much of it.

Ridiculous.

· Registered
59 Posts
Ross,
Those shades are freakin' sick dude! I was about to place an order for some custom party shades just like those, but quickly decided against when I was told there was a $40 setup charge for each color, so when getting 6 different colored pairs, thats a cool $240 I'd rather keep for myself. So I did what I always do when I encounter an issue, and found your post here.

I got some questions.. first, how the heck did you even print on the shades? I envisioned a mold of some sort, that has the shape of the right and left "arm" indented in it, place the sunglass arm in it and you drop the screen over it, but I doubt that was your method?

Second, it seems like the Nazdar ink you are using did the trick, as in the ink doesnt rub off from the sunglass arm. Did you ever end up buying that retarder, and how did that affect the process/results? Would you recommend using this ink or going with a different brand?

Thirdly, would you care to share where you picked up your blanks? They look as if they have a nice wide arm to print on. And are these the frames that have that almost "rubbery" grippy feel to them, or the solid plastic-y feeling "smooth" finish? I'm not sure how else to phrase that last sentence, but it makes sense in my head.

Anyway, thanks for your input and attempting this so others like myself could learn from your experience. If you would like any info on custom hats, I am chock full of experience in that department.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.