T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple questions regarding postscript. I have an epson 2200 I bought recently, and I understand that inkjet printers do not have postscript. I was looking into many RIP programs like Fastrip pro and found they have been too costly. I have still yet to check out ghostscript.

Anyway, I thought about some different options. I currently have 'AdobePDF' as one of my printer drivers, where I can print any file to PDF format. In that, there is a postscript interpreter that can print separations to PDF.. So i thought I could just reopen the pdf files in Illustrator and print those separations through my Epson. Is this a possible way to bypass an RIP program? Will this print the gradients/halftones that the RIPs are set out to do?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm not sure if printing it as a pdf will work. I'm not saying that because I don't think it will, I'm saying that because I have no idea.

Ghostscript should be able to do what you're looking for, if printing it as pdf doesn't. If you're intimidated by it, don't be. Once it's configured, it's like hitting the print button twice.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Just printing a .pdf will not generate halftones. I use Adobe PDF as my "printer", set up to print separations, then in the dialog box that comes up from the button in the left lower corner, I save the file as .ps (postscript). This is the file I open in Ghostview, and print to my inkjet printer. The main reason I use Adobe PDF as a printer is that you can generate pretty much any document size you want. I use 13x18 waterproof film, so it's easy. Using a postscript driver for a laser printer will generally limit your page size to media that that particular printer was made to print, such a letter, legal, or tabloid.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks a lot both of you... tpitman.. what printer do you use? the next step on my list is to figure out the type of film i should use to print my positives on... and what type of ink.. and figure out the difference and preferences of pigment and dye ink.. what would you suggest?

thanks!

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I currently use an HP9800 and Chromopaque waterproof film, although I see Screeners Choice is carrying a different brand now. I've also used regular non-waterproof film from Filmsource, but I prefer the Chromopaque, even though it's quite a bit more expensive. Really nice film positives. As for ink, I just use the HP ink made for my printer.

I had a 2200 and FastRIP. It did a great job, until clogging issues, then my bulk ink cartridge crapping out, rendered it unreliable. With any Epson, make sure you use the thing everyday. My office is in an offset printer's building, and they have a 7600 that they've had very little trouble with, but they use it all the time. I didn't. I also used a chip resetter to keep from having to buy new color cartridges, and I think that helped bugger up the printhead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts