T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[media]http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/8979/hotsplitae7.png[/media]

above is an image of my first attempt with hot split.
The top image is at 13 sec, 400 degrees when the manufacturer recommended 375 for 7 -10 seconds.

Judging by my 10 second, 400 degree, my heat press may be running a bit cool.

ok, now my questions:
1) what is a sign of too much heat or too little?
2) what is a sign of too little time or too much time?
3) how do I fix the slight imperfection shown in the red circles above?
4) does peeling off faster vs slow better?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Keep your time and temp, press the transfer rub with a soft cloth the backing and then peel steady lower corner to opposite corner. Make sure you pre press the shirt to get all the moisture out before doing the transfer.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
A lot of times the presser forgets to pre-press.. intructions may have left this out. transfers do not like moisture. So alway pre-press for at least 5 second. Also how much pressure are you using. I am always on the heavy side myself. Lou

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I am wondering.

if i put too much heat, does this result in the transfer sticking to the transfer paper? thus not even transfering over? I have had this happen, but I do not know the reason

·
Registered
81 Posts

The top image is at 13 sec, 400 degrees when the manufacturer recommended 375 for 7 -10 seconds.

ok, now my questions:
What were the manufacturer recommended settings? I have found what I refer to as my "sweet spot" for my press. Even though one company may say 390 @ 8 seconds and another may say 375 @ 10 seconds, I generally do all my prints at the same temperature and timing. For JPSS and opaque transfers, I print exactly to what they recommend.

If you have the prints and shirts to test with, try upping the temp 5 degrees and pressing for a few additional seconds. I did that and messed up a shirt or two, but have been printing consistantly since I found my "spot".

·
Registered
81 Posts
A lot of times the presser forgets to pre-press.. intructions may have left this out. transfers do not like moisture. So alway pre-press for at least 5 second. Also how much pressure are you using. I am always on the heavy side myself. Lou
This is key. I usually do 5-7 seconds.

·
Registered
258 Posts
This may seem obvious - but double check and make sure you received hot peel and not cold peel. I get those types of results with cold peel when I don't let it cool long enough. Also check with the company that produced the transfers - I know that Ace and First Edition both keep some of the transfers on hand that they send you so that they can test with. While I have never had an issue with the production it is possible that something could have happend there as well. Ace has even provided wash tests for me in the past when I had problems with cold peel (don't dry cold peel with jeans - the rivets on the jeans can do some damage when the dryer heats them up!! LOL). My experience is that most companies are just as interested in what is causing the issue as you are. They may also have some experience with the same issue on their transfers and can give you a quick fix.

Chad

·
Registered
23 Posts
i just got samples from both first edition and versatrans and i really like the hand of the hot split/versatrans transfers... the only thing is that after i washed them both designs kind of seemed to separate from the shirt. the designs kind of peeled and many of the edges lifted after the very first wash.

i followed the directions supplied with the transfers... what do you think? more pressure? heat? time?

(terrible pictures, hopefully you can tell what i'm talking about)

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
More is not better unless your press is defective. People have this inclination to set their press hotter than recommended and to press longer than recommended, then if it doesn't work they go hotter and longer. The manufacturer has a vested interest in the transfers working as well as possible so stick to their recommended heat & time unless you have a reason to change. If they don't work correctly, your first best step is contacting the manufacturer as they know their product better than anyone.

I haven't had your specific problem with plastisol transfers but I have had it with vinyl products. Unfortunately I don't know what causes it.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I actually think samples are samples and not the best representation of what can and is produced. Is that a correct way or promotion...totally stupid in my opinion. Does it happen...yep...every day as there is no cost involved. Who does it...all of the transfers makers do it.

Does a longer dwell time and more temp solve some problems?....It certainly does reguardless of the manufacturers recomends....why....because there is time and environment envolved as well environment and or work conditions on the day the transfers were created. Do you think Toyota Red sprayed in a factory on Monday is the same consistency as sprayed on Friday?....No way because little differences change the basic formula. Thin inks, thick inks etc...we are talking about a factory with the most basic ideaology of labor...problems will and are going to happen.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
The most likely reason you need to increase times or temps is because your press isn't operating correctly. It may have cool spots or may not be reading the correct temperature.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
With a perfect new transfer I would agree. Having purchesed many transfers I have run into a few from different manufacturers that just dont work with the supplied press instructions. These all would be stock transfers. Some only work with longer dwell times and a bit more heat. Some only work with very lite pressure. Some only work if you rub the back with a cloth before peeling with lite pressure, more heat and a longer dwell time.

Just my experience but sometimes there is a fix around the supplied press instructions.
I wish they all worked perfectly but they dont.

·
Registered
44 Posts

ok, now my questions:

TTP Time, Temp, & Pressure are always key when printing.

A quick test - flip the transfer around Top @ the bottom and bottom @ the top (on the back of one of the bad shirts)

If the print work at the top and the bottom gets the same results you more than likely have a cold spot on your heat press.

Cranking up the temp is not always the best, you may want to go longer at 375 try 15 to 20 seconds give ink time to remelt and press into garment.

Increase pressure a little too.

e-mail me if you want info on prees that has life time warrenty on heating elements...Neve have a cold spot again.

Good luck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts