T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

First of all, English is not my native langage so I might do spelling and grammar mistakes.

I am currently an intern in a company that prints on textiles. I have an illustration here that will be printed into a t-shirt. Unfortunately, I don't know how to separate this illustration into different layer that will welcome pantone color.

I'll try to explain a little further. My boss sended an .ai file (which contains vector and bitmap informations) to an abroad company which create such separate "layers" (don't know the exact word) to use them to do silk screen printing. He then received a layer for the black, one for the pink color, one for brown, one for red and then one for flesh color.

My question is the following one : how do these guys manage to obtain such differents layers ? I mean, I can easily obtain layers for vector base graphic. But I don't know how to get layers for the bitmap image. I tried using AccuRip, but it only create separate layers for spot colors. I tried SeparationStudio but I'm new to this piece of software.

Sorry if this is kinda hard to understand, but I've been in this company since monday, so I'm new to silk screen printing. I want to find some solutions for the company's problems so I might get hired.

Thanks in advance, don't hesitate to ask question for further informations.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for sending me the art file. Ok. So based on the design there is no bitmap image. Basically what the creator did was take the photo of the girl and did a vector trace. So now the whole design is in vector. There is also a white star on top of the word du and a white registration mark next to the letter C. Is this going on a colored shirt? If this is going on a white shirt then you probably need to change the color of the star and the registration mark. Because the girl is so small I don't see why you should put brown. Also you wont be able to get the details in the girls clothing. It looks like you could just use pink, black, gray, flesh and white if it is on a colored shirt.

There is also no spot colors in the art file. It is in cmyk and you need to assign spot colors. Even though it is a vector file you really don't want to mess with the thousands of pieces that make up the girl. So you should do it in photoshop. If you want to keep it in vector quality with sharp edges just open up in photoshop with anti aliasing off and set resolution from 600 to 900. This keeps the image sharp like a vector.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.